Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Freight Trains

View attachment 333475View attachment 333476

Freight trains are excellent. I saw this at Yate station the other day, it's a shame it wasn't on the move. There's nothing like a long train thundering past.
I believe that would have been conveying oil from the refinery at Robeston in south Wales to on oil depot at Westerleigh near Bristol.

The proportion of freight carried by rail rather than road is depressingly low in the UK.

I believe that would have been conveying oil from the refinery at Robeston in south Wales to on oil depot at Westerleigh near Bristol.

The proportion of freight carried by rail rather than road is depressingly low in the UK.

Nice. I did wonder what it was. I was at Sheffield once when the Drax biomass (I think!) train went through the station. That was quite the site!

Nice. I did wonder what it was. I was at Sheffield once when the Drax biomass (I think!) train went through the station. That was quite the site!
Bit of a fan of freight trains myself (partly because passenger trains are now almost all pretty boring) - and of course take note when they rumble past but always wonder what 'regular' passengers waiting for their train home on station platforms make of these sights - are they just background noise or do they also find them impressive.

Bit of a fan of freight trains myself (partly because passenger trains are now almost all pretty boring) - and of course take note when they rumble past but always wonder what 'regular' passengers waiting for their train home on station platforms make of these sights - are they just background noise or do they also find them impressive.

They're so massive you sort of feel rather than hear them as they pass through. I can't imagine being anything other than impressed.

Trainspotting as a kid it was always a big thing to hang around for the freight train that didn't come until about 9pm. Getting back home late and telling mum it was a 37 double-header never seemed to impress her as much as I thought it should.

Freight trains in the States are fascinating beasts. Waiting for one to pass in the South, as a kid, felt like an age.

There's something kind of spooky about them, in later years, when living in the UK. Though that may be down to shows like Edge of Darkness...

I'm not into trains in general but I got stuck at Basingstoke for a few hours recently and watching all the freight trains going past was cool. Not something you tend to see round my way.

I'm not into trains in general but I got stuck at Basingstoke for a few hours recently and watching all the freight trains going past was cool. Not something you tend to see round my way.
Basingstoke is on the main route for container trains from Southampton port up to the distribution hubs of the english midlands.

some S E London freight from 1990 (not my video)

Living next to that freight route today l can report that such a variety of BR era traction is sadly no longer on offer (but I reckon a few of the wagons in that video are still rattling around the place).

Back
Top Bottom