Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Free water

sojourner

Where's me readers?
It's always been my understanding that festies are bound by law to provide free water, at points scattered around the site. I'm going to one this weekend that I had trouble accessing water at last time (barely any water points, and they were all 'shut' for the first 24 hours cos hadn't been tested in time). Just looking at the map of it and can't see any water points marked on it, so have asked the organisers on FB, but no reply forthcoming.

Am I right, or has there been a change in the law or what? It's not solely a dance festie, but mostly, and they're saying you can't take in your own bottles of water, only empty bottles (plastic).

Free water is a legal requirement of any outdoor event in the UK and one which should be respected or even celebrated.

Source: https://www.agreenerfestival.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/StewDennyWater.pdf

Don't know if it's still accurate, correct, or some Brexit shit means it's not longer UK law.
Yeh, thought so.
Its certainly the case in pubs and clubs. I don't see why festivals would be any different.

It would be a very poor show to not provide plentiful free water at a festival, very dangerous really.
Indeed!

Its certainly the case in pubs and clubs. I don't see why festivals would be any different.

It would be a very poor show to not provide plentiful free water at a festival, very dangerous really.

The bars at festivals have to supply free drinking water, because they're licensed premises, though it's not always that easy to get it. I'm not sure if the festival as a whole is legally obliged, but not allowing people to take in their own water, and then not supplying free water, would surely be breaking some sort of health and safety law.

I've never yet attended a festival where there hasn't been free water supplied at site. Admittedly some will restrict you bringing any water into an arena area if the bottle has been opened and/ or is over a certain size but even they still have free water supplies to access.

Beautiful Days has always had free water all over the place. The first time I went I saw the reservoir they use, was mildly interesting. I hope you found water at whatever gig you were doing sojourner
BD was great for water Bahnhof Strasse , multi-tap ones with sinks and big signs so you could see them easily. I'm afraid Solfest was not like that at all. It's been pretty poor for a few years now on water. I found one tap, and that was on a camping field. Couldn't find any in the arena, so got mates to top me bottle up from crew area. Poor show and fucking dangerous tbh when you know a good half of the punters are gonna be raving.

The bars at festivals have to supply free drinking water, because they're licensed premises, though it's not always that easy to get it. I'm not sure if the festival as a whole is legally obliged, but not allowing people to take in their own water, and then not supplying free water, would surely be breaking some sort of health and safety law.
No free water at any of the bars at Solfest.

One of the organisers saw my post on FB and said that there were more than double the amount of water points than required, and that the bars were giving out free water on request!! We've had a bit of a to and fro, and he's accepted that there should be better signage (there was none), and they should be on the map. The bars were only selling water, not giving it out for free. I walked around the perimeter to find those points and found none. Maybe they were obstructed by tents? I dunno, but every single person I spoke to about it in the 'dance village' had had the same experience. I'm not glad that I had to make the point, but hopefully next year the points will be easily accessed, with actual signage, on the map, and lit at night too.

Back
Top Bottom