Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Football & War Event at Champion Hill - 12 November 2021

Blitzwalker

Some of you might remember the previous event held at the clubhouse in March 2019, which was a very Hamlet focussed event, with talks from Roger Deason, Jack McInroy, Tim Godden and myself, all with a Dulwich Hamlet connection. We also had the "Football of Loos" at the event - the very ball kicked towards the German front lines at the Battle of Loos in 1915. It was a very successful event and a real feather in our caps as it was the first such event that had been held at a football club rather than at the University of Wolverhampton..

We now have a second event being held at Champion Hill on Friday 12 November to mark the launch of a special edition of "Our Football League" magazine, which looks at the connection between football and the First World War. Our own Roger Deason has contributed an article to this publication and will hopefully be giving a short talk on the subject on the night. Clive Harris from the Charlton Athletic Museum (and our guide when we tour the Western Front in 2023) will also be speaking and we should have a repeat appearance from the Football of Loos should anyone wish to hold and be photographed with this amazing historic artefact. All proceeds from the sale of the special edition will be going to Combat Stress, the Veterans' Mental Health charity.

This should be another fascinating evening and supporters of all football clubs are most welcome to attend.

Photo 20-10-2021, 09 59 22.jpg

The FAW and OFL Twitter today suggests not.

Unfortunately I have had to drop out. I have a terminal illness in my family and we have been informed Covid or flu will kill them, when they could potentially live three or so more years. I have reluctantly decided a three hour round trip by public transport on a Friday evening rush hour and then two or three hours in a potentially crowded room was taking too much of a risk with someone else's life.

FAW were aware of this risk from day one and had a plan B ready so it won't really impact the event.

Edited to say about ten days ago a medical report came out stating evidence is currently suggesting the booster jab is giving little protection to those with this specific diagnosis. (To protect their privacy I would rather not name the disease, Google is your friend.) That report caused me to drop out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom