Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fitting an outside tap

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
I want to get the equipment for an outside tap. A plumber the other day mentioned a compression tee and a self cutting outside tap (bib tap).

He said you could buy complete kits, but as I don't have time to order one, thought I'd go to hardware store, but if they don't have the complete kits, what exactly am I supposed to buy?

Having looked at Screwfix, there's loads of different sizes etc. so not exactly sure what I'm supposed to get if I need to get bits individually

Luckily my outside tap was already fitted by the last tenant. Minnie have you looked at the many videos and how to websites available?

I know homebase have a guide for example.

Yeah, I know there's guides, and there's loads of places that sell them.

I have new sink (and therefore new plumbing), so whilst work is being done in the kitchen, thought I'd try to get this sorted. If I'd had the equipment when the plumber came the other day, he would have done it, but too late now. However, another guy with a diamond drill has yet to come to drill new vent for tumble dryer, so I thought when he did that, I could at least ask him if he could drill hole for new tap and then I (or someone else) could do the rest. I don't have a drill, and I won't use one as they scare me, but just in case drill man is a plumber himself, thought I'd get the equipment in and be very nice to him and see if he'd fit it for me :D

You need a compression bib tap (or a regular stop cock and a bib plate),appropriate length of 15mm copper,a compression tee and depending how you are running it some elbows to change direction.If you know how to turn water off and on I wouldn't fuck about with self cutting tee's etc.
It really should incorporate a non return valve and a inline stop cock inside (to prevent freezing during the winter).But having said that you're in London so freezing is unlikely to be a problem and millions of outside taps are just done in the straight forward manner with no problems at all.

You need a compression bib tap (or a regular stop cock and a bib plate),appropriate length of 15mm copper,a compression tee and depending how you are running it some elbows to change direction.If you know how to turn water off and on I wouldn't fuck about with self cutting tee's etc.
It really should incorporate a non return valve and a inline stop cock inside (to prevent freezing during the winter).But having said that you're in London so freezing is unlikely to be a problem and millions of outside taps are just done in the straight forward manner with no problems at all.

You've just made it sound even more complicated!

I have a new way of cutting water off-storage-emulated-0-DCIM-Camera-IMAGE00062.jpg . It's just an off/off switch light a light switch :cool:

Yeah, I know there's guides, and there's loads of places that sell them.

I have new sink (and therefore new plumbing), so whilst work is being done in the kitchen, thought I'd try to get this sorted. If I'd had the equipment when the plumber came the other day, he would have done it, but too late now. However, another guy with a diamond drill has yet to come to drill new vent for tumble dryer, so I thought when he did that, I could at least ask him if he could drill hole for new tap and then I (or someone else) could do the rest. I don't have a drill, and I won't use one as they scare me, but just in case drill man is a plumber himself, thought I'd get the equipment in and be very nice to him and see if he'd fit it for me :D

Do you have a B&Q or some such near you?

I would go to my local hardware store and ask them for advice first as smaller shops tend to have people who actually know stuff working in them. If after advice you find that the smaller shop prices are beyond your budget, go to a larger retail outlet.

PMSL.

I don't speak Russian, sorry :( :D

Do you have a B&Q or some such near you?

I would go to my local hardware store and ask them for advice first as smaller shops tend to have people who actually know stuff working in them. If after advice you find that the smaller shop prices are beyond your budget, go to a larger retail outlet.

Have a Homebase, but would take over an hour. Have a hardware shop about 5 minutes away. May have to go to Homebase in the evening when builders have left

It's not difficult at all and forget the bit about non return valves and inline stop cocks that's just the water regs.
You need a tee to tap into the existing cold supply,a hole in the wall for the pipe to go through, a bib tap to screw to outside wall and as I say a few elbows to change direction the number will depend on how you run the pipework.

It's not difficult at all and forget the bit about non return valves and inline stop cocks that's just the water regs.
You nee a tee to tap into the existing cold supply,a hole in the wall for the pipe to go through, a bib tap to screw to outside wall and as I say a few elbows to change direction the number will depend on how you run the pipework.

Excellent :hmm:

Not as well explained as "I'll have 2metres of you finest 6mm twin and earth cooker cable plus 100/150 mm (four or six inches) of the larger size of earth sleeving please my good man/woman".

:D

Excellent :hmm:

Not as well explained as "I'll have 2metres of you finest 6mm twin and earth cooker cable plus 100/150 mm (four or six inches) of the larger size of earth sleeving please my good man/woman".

:D
;) By the way as you're Brixtonish based I'd go to Diamond Merchants on Acre Lane and not a B&Q or hardware store.They are reasonably friendly and used to odd bods popping in asking questions about basic plumbing.

;) By the way as you're Brixtonish based I'd go to Diamond Merchants on Acre Lane and not a B&Q or hardware store.They are reasonably friendly and used to odd bods popping in asking questions about basic plumbing.

You calling me odd? :hmm::D

Noted. Was going to go to McKays in New Park Road, but may try them

Did you see my "workmen have broke my cooker" thread? :D

Hope whoever connects new one does it right

I fitted one of these kits recently, which was extremely easy:

Easy-Fit-External-Tap-Kit_large.jpg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/easy-fit-external-tap-kit/invt/420000/

It does require drilling, for the external hose through the brickwork, and mounting the tap to the wall outside.

Isn't a double check valve de rigeur, or is that only if a hose is to be fitted to the tap?

All my builders are Russians/Latvians/Poles and Bulgarian. The plumber was English. When I was writing down what to get, he started spelling compression for me :D

You want a Russian plumber about as much as you want a Russian dentist. ie not at all.

Self cuttings T joints aren't that flash in my experience, it's quite easy to over tighten them and you often don't get decent pressure on your new tap. Better to just to cut the pipe and use a plastic T joint sealed with olives and then run the pipe to the tap in 15mm plastic - much easier to work with.

Isn't a double check valve de rigeur, or is that only if a hose is to be fitted to the tap?
Yes newish water regs require one.It's to do with having a hose connected which may be heated by sunlight and above the height of the tap,in such a situation it's theoretically possible for bacteria in the hose to syphon back into the potable water supply.That's the theory,the fact is there are millions of installations without check valves and unless I've missed it there have been no outbreaks of disease caused by bacterial infections from outside taps.It's 'elf and safety gone mad I tells 'ye.

You want a Russian plumber about as much as you want a Russian dentist. ie not at all.

Self cuttings T joints aren't that flash in my experience, it's quite easy to over tighten them and you often don't get decent pressure on your new tap. Better to just to cut the pipe and use a plastic T joint sealed with olives and then run the pipe to the tap in 15mm plastic - much easier to work with.
Olives?:hmm:

Guy in hardware shop advised against self-cutting one. I got all confuddled and didn't really know what I was getting, so I got this. Suggested piping as well, but it's sold in 3 metre lengths for £9. I only want tap to go straight out of kitchen window, so don't think I need 3 metres.

DSC01168.JPG

This is under the sink and the pipe coming out from the sink cupboard. Washing machine will be there in that gap

DSCF6301.JPG

DSCF6304.JPG

You've got the right stuff,looking at the pics doesn't help a lot but off hand I'd say you could put the tee on in place of the washing machine outlet then a short bit of pipe and then the washing machine outlet.If you could go straight through the wall then an elbow up to the bib tap would be fine,but looking at it you may need a few more elbows to raise it above the back of the sink unit then through the wall.As far as buying copper goes the price of a 3 metre length(from a plumbing supplier) is not going to be much more than a 1 metre length (from a diy place) and you'll hopefully have some left for your next project (outside shower maybe). Have a go perhaps with the help of your Eastern European builders.Onwards and upward.(by the way get a roll of PTFE tape,to fit the stop cock to the bib plate,it'll also be a big help in making the compression joints leakproof with out the use of a body builder and some 36" Stillsons)

Just had a plumber around to remove radiator so nabbed him before he left and showed him what I've got. Told him olives and non return valves had been mentioned and he showed me an olive already inside something. Said if I could, should see if shop will swap my bib for one with inbuilt check valve. If shop wouldn't do that' to ask for 15mm double check valve compression. A length of piping as well of course. No way am I doing this myself though. One thing plumbing in a washing machine, but I don't have the tools for this type of work and don't feel confident doing it at all. Shall get some of that tape you mention as well.

Outside shower sounds lovely.... If you're in the tropics!

Back
Top Bottom