Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fireplace/party wall question

Buddy Bradley

Pantheistic solipsist
We just noticed that the wall in our living room that connects to our neighbour's living room (end terrace) is rather hot now they've got the fire lit - almost too hot to hold your hand against the wall for too long. The previous owners did a bunch of construction, so we're not sure if they stripped out some heat protection from the fireplace when they were remodeling.

Does anyone know anything about the relevant rules and regulations for fires against party walls? Obviously we've got fabrics (sofa) and things near that wall, but I have no idea how hot they'd have to get to ignite.

Edit: This thread on MSE makes it sound like a non-issue?

Worth seeking some advice - better safe than sorry. But in the meantime at least you're getting some free heat from next door so will help reduce your bills.

We just noticed that the wall in our living room that connects to our neighbour's living room (end terrace) is rather hot now they've got the fire lit - almost too hot to hold your hand against the wall for too long. The previous owners did a bunch of construction, so we're not sure if they stripped out some heat protection from the fireplace when they were remodeling.

Does anyone know anything about the relevant rules and regulations for fires against party walls? Obviously we've got fabrics (sofa) and things near that wall, but I have no idea how hot they'd have to get to ignite.

Edit: This thread on MSE makes it sound like a non-issue?
I'd contact the fire service and ask for advice, they do visit places that aren't actually on fire and advise on fire safety - they can probably also visit your neighbours.

Back
Top Bottom