Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Film photographers: Do you have a scanner?

Do you have a scanner?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Flavour

hang the bankers
To those of you who develop rolls of film and want both physically-printed photos and digital versions, how do you go about it? Do you develop photos yourself? Do you have them scanned by someone else? I am thinking of getting a scanner (a Canon Lide one, seem cheap and high quality) but some tell me it's less faff if I just get them scanned by someone else (like the lab that develops them) but I think in the long run it'd probably be cheaper to get my own scanner.

What set up do you guys use to get your photos from the roll of film to the internet? Do you have a scanner?

I do but a lot of the time I uses the Google Photoscan app as it's less faff.

I've got a load of prints to scan soon and I'll definitely use the scanner for those.

In my city, I have tried three labs for developing and scanning. Two are crap - poor quality scans (dust) and poor developing (underdeveloping, chemical marks). The decent place is expensive - about 15 quid for develop and scan. I am considering buying my own kit for home developing, but rather than a scanner am considering digitising using a digital camera and one of these sets.

In my city, I have tried three labs for developing and scanning. Two are crap - poor quality scans (dust) and poor developing (underdeveloping, chemical marks). The decent place is expensive - about 15 quid for develop and scan. I am considering buying my own kit for home developing, but rather than a scanner am considering digitising using a digital camera and one of these sets.
If you have a DSLR and a macro lens that will go to 1:1, then this is a very good option. I made a DIY version when I had to copy some old negs during lockdown and it worked pretty well, but the option to have a built in light source makes this a good choice.

If you want a proper film scanner then this one is meant to be pretty good for the price (about £300).

Plustek 8200I SE OpticFilm 8200iSE Film Scanner - Black https://amzn.eu/d/eh69vZk

I develop most of my b&w. I send off colour to be developed.

I DSLR scan (well mirrorless) at home - I use the TTartisan macro lens on a fuji xt2

I use the Essential film holder but am going to upgrade to the Valloi soon.

I use a generic lightbox and a Kaiser copystand.

Then import the images into lightroom classic and use negativelab pro to convert

Works reasonably well for me, and especially for 35mm is pretty quick. Slightly longer with medium format (I also find the quality for medium format not quite as strong with 35mm - The difference in quality between a drum scan and my cameras scan for 35mm is like 2% or so, but about 15% for medium format)

As a stamp collector, I have a scanner, two in fact.

I have a Canon Lide 200 and a scanner incorporated into my printer which is an Epson Ecotank ET2714. The scanner on the printer is the better of the two.

As a member of various stamp groups, I do a lot of scanning.

Here is a 1200dpi scan of one of our members in his youth. :)

FBwdt9H.jpg

The actual stamp is 1" x 1.5".

I'll be having my film developed externally, not getting into developing myself for the moment, and then get fairly standard paper prints done. i was thinking of then getting a flatbed scanner to make digital versions. these proper film scanners sound like a bit too much effort and are super specific to scanning film.

Back
Top Bottom