Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric tricycles

Lusting for one of these

Price looks encouraging. Wonder what the import fees and registration costs would be?

Like an electric tuk tuk?

What license do you think you'd need? Motorbike or car? I'd also imagine it would be a fun call to the insurance company. You've got a what?

That's what I do the school run in, have posted a pic on here before, will search in a minute. I'm driving illegally at the moment as they brought in new regulations around the new year requiring a license plate and a sort of MOT and ours can't make it, so I stick to the backroads. Get about 50km range off a charge at 36 kph.
ETA pic here What's the most unusual way you could get to work?

Last edited:
How stable are they? Presumably the back wheels don’t do the clever stuff like the Piaggio MP3s did?

I have a three-wheel electric mobility scooter which I chose for nimbleness around indoor obstacles, but it gets very close to toppling when faced with funny cambers and I wish now I’d gone for one with more wheels. We do seem to be approaching convergence between mobility kit and electric personal transport.

How stable are they? Presumably the back wheels don’t do the clever stuff like the Piaggio MP3s did?
Our one is pretty good, fixed back axle and front steers like a motorbike using handlebars. Have felt it shift a bit in strong winter winds but never felt close to tipping taking a bend. Ours has a bench seat at the back which can sit three kids if needs be, no seat belts :eek:

The newer ones which would meet the new regs are a bit fancier and better coachwork and some even have aircon/heating. Old fella who used to do a taxi service from the bus stop in an older petrol version used to have a coal stove in his :D

It's also really good over rough ground as like 2CV built with a rural market in mind. Went camping last night, just a kids sleep-out in the next village, but it trundled right up the rutted dirt track to the site with the tents on the roof rack.

Sorry to spam, but the other thing here is that there's a mechanic in every village of any size and you can get them fixed for next to nothing too, plus parts are readily available. Our local fellow has also come out to do a disconnected wire for me. Suppose that would be hard in the UK.

Probably the future of urban transport, anyway, at least in gridlocked Asian megacities.
Annoyingly these recent regulations show the triumph of the car, they're clearing these off the roads as they annoy the drivers. Short-sighted, though fully electric cars are getting pretty common. The slang term for the trikes is 老头乐 which means something like "gimmer's delight" as they're seen as things pensioners trundle around in doing the school runs.

1000002550.jpg
Today's outing to fetch a table and picture MrsW had spotted on the freecycle equivalent. I'd taken youngest to his art class in the morning and not put it on charge (usually do overnight) so was bunny hopping a bit on final home stretch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom