Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Eel Pie Island. Any Info?

kittyP

Pluviophile
Have tried a search but it was not recognising 'Eel' or 'Pie' as they are only three letters so it was a bit tricky.

Was thinking of something different to do tomorrow before going to see the grandmother.

I have never been to Eel Pie Island and have always thought it sounded pretty interesting.

Google has not been that helpful either.

Any body have any experience of the place, any recommendations and any info on the best way to get there via public transport from SW9?

Cheers

I used to go to gigs there in the seventies. The big house that had gigs there is long gone or gentrified. Trevor Bayliss the wind-up radio man lives on Eel Pie island.

Eel Pie Island fact: The Mystery Jets used to host a series of illegal parties dubbed "The White Cross Revival"on Eel Pie Island.

Cheers MrsM. I had a look at the Wiki page.

To be honest, we are skint and the weather looks OK for tomorrow.
Just wanted somewhere a bit different to have a walk, maybe a picnic and a pint.
It says there is a nature reserve on each end of the island.

There must be somewhere to have a pint and/or picnic?

IS it easy enough to get to via public transport? :)

Well I haven't been for about 20 years and a woman shouted at me for being on private land. I think I walked there from Richmond Station because I like walking.
Go to the Wetland place in Barnes.

Well I haven't been for about 20 years and a woman shouted at me for being on private land. I think I walked there from Richmond Station because I like walking.
Go to the Wetland place in Barnes.

Oh so are you not actually allowed on there unless you live there? :confused:

Well to be honest I don't know, but the woman had a right go and ranted on about the amount of trespassers every weekend, so I went because I wanted a nice day, not confrontation.

Public access to the island is fine, but there's not exactly a lot you can do there now. All of the private land is cordoned off, and basically you're left with a single walkway from one end to the other. It's about a two minute stretch of the legs.

If you're after somewhere slightly different for a day out, then yeah, it's worth a quick nosey. I wouldn't organise an entire day around it though.

As mentioned, I'd combine it with the wonderful Wetlands Centre, which is on the same line.

Very outdated piece here.

Public access to the island is fine, but there's not exactly a lot you can do there now. All of the private land is cordoned off, and basically you're left with a single walkway from one end to the other. It's about a two minute stretch of the legs.

If you're after somewhere slightly different for a day out, then yeah, it's worth a quick nosey. I wouldn't organise an entire day around it though.

As mentioned, I'd combine it with the wonderful Wetlands Centre, which is on the same line.

Very outdated piece here.

Cheers :cool:

My dad drove The Who's stage gear over the little bridge in his Mini Van cos their tour bus wouldn't fit :cool:

There is (or perhaps was) a rather creepy front garden decorated with plastic dolls, some I think dismembered. I can't find a picture but I did find this from the island garden of the ownwers of the "Love shack" a couple currently involved in an odd dispute withRichmond Council

The bridge to the Island is near the entrance to York House gardens which have their own peculiar charm

2977837028_6ce5b84428.jpg

york.jpg

There is (or perhaps was) a rather creepy front garden decorated with plastic dolls, some I think dismembered.
oh god, i remember walking around there one vening and getting totally freaked out by that garden :eek: :D

Yes, I remember that little plot! Myself and a couple of friends went there for the Eel Pie Island "Village Fete" years ago, as one of our party was going out with the daughter of one of the residents of these houses:

eeel.jpg

Which were apparently built on the site of the old Hotel. A strange day. Clever Trevor was in full effect, as were some of the more unusual residents. The head of the household was complaining that the Thames Barrier never took him seriously when he phoned them at high spring tides asking why they hadn't raised it, as the water was lapping at his back door...

That and moaning that British Gas had damaged the bridge onto the island.

They always have an Arts Open day in the summer where all the artists that are on the island open up their studios and ting.
A friend of mine has a studio in an old boat on the island.

Back
Top Bottom