Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Anglia/Norwich - the good, the bad and the ugly

Hollis

bloody furious
I've thinking of fulfilling a life times dream by heading to Norfolk in the next few weeks...

Anyone have any recommendation of where to go/where not to go..

No car - so have to use public transport.

I've thinking of fulfilling a life times dream by heading to Norfolk in the next few weeks...

Anyone have any recommendation of where to go/where not to go..

No car - so have to use public transport.

Have you decided where to base yourself? You don't need a car in Norwich which also has a proper medieval centre, one of the best in England, ideal for walking. You can hire a bike there easily anyway, a bike up to Cromer along the Marriots way and then train home is a really nice day out.

How long and what do you like.

The castle museum is pretty good and there is stuff to do around UEA.

Yarmouth and Gorleston are easily reachable by train or bus.

Gorleston has one of the best beaches on the East Coat near a town. Spend the day there. Eat and drink at the Fig or the Pier hotel.

Great Yarmouth has a full on kiss me quick vibe. The Pleasure Beach supports this and has the longest wooden rollercoaster in the UK - which isn't huge but is good. Merivale Model Village is pretty cool. The Time and Tide museum is good too.

The circus has the only flood-able ring in Europe in an amazing victorian building and is definitely worth seeing.

Harder to get to on public transport is Borough Castle which has the most well preserved roman walls in Europe, but no one knows about them. Also a peaceful nature reserve.

Also harder to get to without a car is Winterton. Great beaches, not sure if the seals will still be there but if they are its amazing.

You could hire an electric boat on the broads from Pheonix Boats or Martham Ferry for anything from a couple of hour to a day, probably three or four hours best. They are both near Potter Heigham so about 10 miles outside the city.

A bit further afield and inland is Grimes Graves. This is a Neolithic flint mine. The landscape is amazing and there is one shaft you can go down...

Quite a bit more.

Norwich is really gorgeous, it's a good day out - city centre itself, loads of nice pubs and indy shops, and the cathedral district (Tombland) is spectacular.

Kings Lynn waterfront area is good, I like the countryside in North Norfolk up around Heacham and Hunstanton, but I also really liked the area just in from the coast, north of Great Yarmouth.

IMG_20220222_142136779_HDR.jpgIMG_20220222_144937746_HDR.jpgIMG_20220222_145012826_HDR.jpgIMG_20220223_103019812_HDR.jpgIMG_20220224_170118686_HDR.jpgIMG_20220224_170538468_HDR.jpgIMG_20220224_141327019_HDR.jpgIMG_20220224_134631406_HDR.jpgIMG_20220222_140926867_HDR.jpgIMG_20220222_143248978_HDR.jpg

Here's what I saw in Norwich a while back

1660077765465.png

1660077773834.png

1660077778720.png

1660077786652.png

1660077794130.png

The coast path looks easy going with good bus connections, plenty of vids on YouTube if you want to see what sections look like.

Mundesley has a great beach and is a really nice small town. Great chippy in the square as well (although 2018 last time I was there)

As others have said, Norwich is worth a visit - the old town near the Cathedral is very nice - Kings Lynn as well, the harbour bit is decent. Cromer might be worth a look - very sea-side-y.

As others have said, Norwich is worth a visit - the old town near the Cathedral is very nice - Kings Lynn as well, the harbour bit is decent. Cromer might be worth a look - very sea-side-y.
Cromer has a bastard of a one way system, went round three times trying to get out. :)

And yet still we are denied an East Anglia section of the boards...

Had a week there and really enjoyed it - took in Norwich, Sheringham, Great Yarmouth and Gorleston-on-Sea. Also Ely, though that's Cambridgeshire innit.. All good apart from Pizza Express in Norwich - had the worst pizza of my life there.

Back
Top Bottom