Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dyson introduces the Dyson Hot room heater

editor

hiraethified
Never quite sure where to post Dyson news seeing as they're a mix of both science and tech, but here's their clever new room heater:

dyson-hot-fan-heater-2.jpg

The new heater looks similar to the Dyson bladless fans released two years ago, but introduces innovations like the ability to set a temperature between 1 and 37 degrees Celsius, with the fan able to keep the room at an even heat by measuring the surrounding air and automatically adjusting its output.

“Other fan heaters rely on inefficient motors or dust friendly grills. As the heat rises you’re left with a partially heated room and a worrying burning smell. Dyson engineers have developed a heater that produces no smell and heats the whole room,” says James Dyson.

Employing the same tech as their Air Multiplier fan, the heater works by drawing air through a mixed flow impeller and then accelerating is through a 2.5mm aperture set within the loop amplifier.

Dyson expains that this process, “creates a jet of hot air which passes over an airfoil-shaped ramp channelling its direction. “Surrounding air is drawn into the airflow, amplifying it 6 times in a process known as inducement and entrainment.”

http://www.wirefresh.com/dyson-reinvents-the-room-heater-with-the-dyson-hot-that-keeps-itself-cool/

He'll be reinventing the wheel next ...

I struggle with the concept of an "inefficient motor", given that the inefficiency is expressed as heat...

He'll be reinventing the wheel next ...

I struggle with the concept of an "inefficient motor", given that the inefficiency is expressed as heat...
I guess it's where the heat goes that matters: i.e. if the entire case of the heater is too hot to touch, it's clearly not doing its job too well.

I must get a photo of the slime buildup from the run-off on the hand dryer in the loo next to my office - he somehow seems to have overlooked that aspect in the deign.

I must get a photo of the slime buildup from the run-off on the hand dryer in the loo next to my office - he somehow seems to have overlooked that aspect in the deign.
Surely that's down to the staff not cleaning it properly? I don't think "perpetually self cleaning" was in the advertising blurb!

Surely that's down to the staff not cleaning it properly? I don't think "perpetually self cleaning" was in the advertising blurb!

He could at least have designed it so it all ran off onto the floor - it collects in a groove where the two halves of the casing meet.

I've also heard people complaining that they get hit with droplets when there are two people sharing the space. (I avoid using shared facilities)

This must be one of the first Dyson products I have not be enamoured with. Direct electric heating is so carbon inefficient I can't understand why they have done it.

This must be one of the first Dyson products I have not be enamoured with. Direct electric heating is so carbon inefficient I can't understand why they have done it.
How else would you quickly and evenly heat a room?

How else would you quickly and evenly heat a room?
Two £20 fan heaters from Argos or the like.
But its not the point. Low carbon solutions have been his strong point (the air blade etc) and this just is not low carbon

There's an entertaining review here:
If you've seen his vacuum commercials, you know James Dyson loves nothing more than solving a deceptively simple engineering problem. Oh, how it delights him. But when his company introduced its nifty but ultimately confounding Air Multiplier fan last year, it solved a problem suffered by no one: the "uncomfortable buffeting" of air flowing from a common, bladed desktop fan. The engineering involved in shooting air forcefully and smoothly from the Multiplier's eye-catching ring was impressive, but its reason for being fell flat.
As it turns out, all it takes to turn a good-looking but ultimately strange product into something legitimately, usefully innovative is the addition of hot air. The Dyson Hot—essentially an Air Multiplier fan with a heating element—is proof.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2011-09/dyson-hot-review-now-were-innovating

I forget the plot of "The Man Who Fell To Earth" ... did (Bowie) end up saturating the market with new stuff so people stopped wanting it ?
He hasn't made a (yellow and purple) 'fridge yet ...

Direct electric heating is so carbon inefficient I can't understand why they have done it.

What is more efficient? A ground source heat pump? I wouldn't like to retro-fit one of those for most offices.

Two £20 fan heaters from Argos or the like.

How would fan heaters from Argos be more "carbon efficient" than this "moving air" heater? They both consist of metal heating elements that heat the air. Do spinning plastic blades convert CO2 in the air into graphite and oxygen or something?

What gg and what said about electrical heating.

I thought his bagless vacuum cleaner was a bit of a con, too, really. It may be bagless but (ten years ago admittedly when I saw it) it needed a micro filter that that needed to be replaced every year or so and cost more than my whole vacuum cleaner did at the time.

What is more efficient? A ground source heat pump? I wouldn't like to retro-fit one of those for most offices.

How would fan heaters from Argos be more "carbon efficient" than this "moving air" heater? They both consist of metal heating elements that heat the air. Do spinning plastic blades convert CO2 in the air into graphite and oxygen or something?

Ground Source heat pump is definitely more efficient. COP of about 3, avoid air source though, they are at times (when defrosting) worse than a straight electric heater. But if you want to do things properly you need to look at the whole building before just changing systems.
Fan heaters from argos are not more carbon efficient they just do the same job at a fraction of the price.

Is it because money is not carbon neutral?

I really like his washing machines, and would have bought one, except that they were twice the price of other ones and got discontinued.

he's filed patents on dishwashers and all sorts of other household items, but sometimes I wonder if he got lucky with the vacuum cleaner and thought he could 're-engineer' other things too.

I am fond of the commercial hand-dryer he did though.

Back
Top Bottom