Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dyeing ones partners hair, tips and tricks for beginners..

TopCat

Putin fanboy
My partner is complaining about her roots coming through and no hairdresser solution available. All standard lockdown stuff.

Now however she has gone and bought hair dye and I have been appointed chief hair dyer and bathroom cleaner.

I last dyed my hair in my teens. It was a black so black it looked blue.

Anyway I want to have a go at doing a good clean job. I am going to get pics too.

Tips and tricks please. I want to keep this woman.

Use baby oil all the way around her hairline, this stops the dye dying her skin.

Get some proper rubber gloves, the silly cling film gloves you get in the box are crap.

Do it on a wipe clean floor.

Baby wipes.

Go through the instructions together, say them out loud, and have a stop watch/alarm for the timings.

Baby wipes.

Repeat 'im saving you £80...' constantly.

Baby wipes.

Do it in decorating clothes, or naked. You'll get covered in that shit, and it doesn't come out.

Read the instructions, then read them again, and again. Do an allergy test first if she's not used that dye before, I'm guessing not. Little bits carefully applied is better than slapping it on rapidly. Have a comb you're not bothered about colouring to hand. Do wear gloves. Any dye that finds skin, use alcohol gel or vodka to lift it.

Mr Looby has done the back of my hair a few times. Never highlights, just a full head colour. Watch some YouTube videos. You can learn everything on there.

Also unless it's a bleach job or hardcore dye you've got a bit of time to get it right so don't panic. If you've ever been arty or painted walls just think of how much better a result you get with patience and precision.

I also have an old pair of specs to hand cos I'm a blind twat without them and while it's processing I can still move about without dying my good pair. Oh and if you are bleaching and it recommends covering it, do not use a carrier bag with logos cos the print will transfer! Never done it myself mind. I always take free shower caps from hotels and stash them for dying.

Adding this in just because :D

pplpdkyh6hv31.png

Old towels to cover the shoulders and the lap of the dye-ee.

Check through at least twice to make sure yiuveyou’ve not missed any patches. Do this before using up the last of the dye.

Are you bleaching or dyeing?

Bleach is a much more technical process, and the consequences of doing it wrong are potentially quite serious (burns, hair breaking off).

Hair dye though, is pretty easy.

Number one rule is that you should never try to get by with one box of dye unless you have short, fine hair. Not enough dye guarantees a patchy result. Patchiness is pretty much the main way it can go wrong.

I have long, not especially thick hair and I need two. If your partner has long very thick hair, maybe get even more.

Section the hair off. Make a ponytail out of everything but the bottom section.
Slap on the dye. You can use a tinting brush, but I tend to use my (gloved) fingers. If you’re covering roots, do the whole of the head, but aiming just to cover the roots. This is so that the roots get more time with the dye.

When you’ve done the roots for the whole head, whack the dye on the bits that are already coloured. Use a lot and really squish it in with your fingers. Shape the hair into squishy sausages and work the dye between and through the hair until it’s totally saturated. Use more than you think. Use it all! It can’t be kept (dye once mixed, will explode if in a sealed container!) Hair is a bugger for hiding pockets of dry, undyed bits, and that’s how you end up with patchiness.

Wrap it in clingfilm to develop. The heat helps and it avoids transfer stains. Clean up any splotches on the ears, neck and hairline. Don’t wait for the rinsing part because it will stain.

After the appropriate time (I have always given it a bit extra for luck - but you probably shouldn’t do that), rinse the worst out, using your hands to rub the hair and scalp, then I like to use a little shampoo (though it’s not recommended) to get the rest of the dye out. You want the water to run clear. Then slap on the conditioner, wait, and rinse again.

I have been home-dyeing my hair for over 35 years and I wouldn’t attempt to bleach it blonde at home. Not if I wasn’t going to immediately cover the result with pink or blue or something.

Back
Top Bottom