Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet vs Maidstone, Sat 28th Nov 2020 - postponed due to dicky floodlights

editor

hiraethified
Update from the Hamlet hive:

"Tomorrow's game against
Maidstone United FC
has unfortunately been postponed due to ongoing floodlight repairs.
A new date will be organised in due course."

This is probably a hugely simplistic view and ignorant of all that goes into hosting a game but cant we just kick off at 1?

Not that I am too fussed if it means people can attend the rescheduled date.

Yes, with no fans, if everyone agrees. However; a re-arranged date may well have fans in attendance.

It may or may not be a coincidence that the opposition was Maidstone, who are in a similar place to the Hamlet re income streams

Edited to say see below. If there's a pylon across the pitch then it clearly can't play.

This is probably a hugely simplistic view and ignorant of all that goes into hosting a game but cant we just kick off at 1?

Not that I am too fussed if it means people can attend the rescheduled date.
I believe one of the pylons is lying across the pitch. It was damaged by contractors when lowered for routine maintenance the day before the Dorking game, hence switching the fixtures to play at Dorking.

I believe one of the pylons is lying across the pitch. It was damaged by contractors when lowered for routine maintenance the day before the Dorking game, hence switching the fixtures to play at Dorking.

That does seem like it might be a slight issue. We've actually been playing through lines the last two games.

A few years ago PP and I went to Leigh to watch London Broncos RLFC, at the old Hilton Park ground. When the fixture was announced I had to e-mail Broncos and ask whether the RFL had approved playing on the same pitch at the same time as Leigh RMI v Gravesend & Northfleet.

Sadly Broncos wrote back saying it was a cock up and they subsequently pushed the RL kick off back until 7.00. Shame really, it could have been highly entertaining I suspect.

Was that the Northampton team that won Division 4 under Graham Carr by any chance? I wasted 90 minutes of my life watching them at Molineux. They had perfected the offside trap millimetres into their half and were deadly dull to watch. Good team mind.

Newport County tried to do the same the following season. Fortunately they were comically inept at playing the offside game and it was just funny to watch.

Was that the Northampton team that won Division 4 under Graham Carr by any chance? I wasted 90 minutes of my life watching them at Molineux. They had perfected the offside trap millimetres into their half and were deadly dull to watch. Good team mind.
It was when they played at the cricket ground. Here's what I wrote at the time:

The last time I visited Northampton, they were playing at their old ground (shared with the cricket team), and that match earned the dubious honour of being the most boring game of football I'd ever witnessed. It was an unbelievably dull 0-0 where nothing happened of any interest.

We were so bored that we ended up pondering over the cotton/acrylic mix of the player's shirts. No, really. We were that bored.

Whilst only being aware of what is posted here and the information that the club has posted it does seem to be taking a long time to sort this out as it seems the floodlight was initially damaged prior to the Dorking Wanderers game being switched nearly a fortnight ago. Personally I can understand some Maidstone fans being a little annoyed by this postponement particularly as I don’t see any mention of alternative arrangements being considered? Given the current animosity between the club & the League one wonders what action they might take if any punishment is considered?

Griff the floodlights are old and so I'm sure parts are not as easy to come by now. The lights are damaged and a number of very specific bolts may have failed. Alternative arrangement was to reverse the fixture and I believe Maidstone did not agree. Maybe their refusal was based on the expectation fans would be allowed into their games by the time their home fixture was due. If it was who can blame them?
Why are Maidstone fans annoyed as they couldn't attend anyway?

Thanks for the information.. With the floodlights in such condition it would have been useful to keep fans updated by the usual channels but that’s maybe something to think about going forward. I can understand Maidstone fans being put out by not seeing their team play in one of the big games, albeit on YouTube. Don’t forget they still don’t know when they’ll be able to see them in the flesh, home or away..,

The pylon could have been an additional line of defence, adding a bit of extra 'steel'. Could also be useful for knock-ons in attack and possibly as a knock-off. Sorry to 'pile it on'.

Thanks for the information.. With the floodlights in such condition it would have been useful to keep fans updated by the usual channels but that’s maybe something to think about going forward. I can understand Maidstone fans being put out by not seeing their team play in one of the big games, albeit on YouTube. Don’t forget they still don’t know when they’ll be able to see them in the flesh, home or away..,
Surely the club has kept supporters updated via the usual channels? It's on the club's website and Twitter account, while matchday volunteers were emailed to inform them their services would no longer be required.

Right now any match could be postponed at the drop of a hat if oneof the players tests positive for coronavirus. At least some of the Maidstone supporters may be able to attend when it's rescheduled. I'd say there's a case for calling off all the matches tomorrow and next Tuesday except for those at Slough and the Kent clubs, just to enable supporters to attend and for the clubs to raise some money.

I peeped over the wall earlier today and took this picture of the flaccid pylon:

20201127_143609.jpg

Last edited:
Surely the club has kept supporters updated via the usual channels? It's on the club's website and Twitter account, while matchday volunteers were emailed to inform them their services would no longer be required.
After the event, yes. But given that the problem first arose prior to the Dorking game it might have been useful to mention how repairs were progressing to manage the expectations of those who are now venting their anger.

After the event, yes. But given that the problem first arose prior to the Dorking game it might have been useful to mention how repairs were progressing to manage the expectations of those who are now venting their anger.

I don't want our Twitter account tweeting about the ongoing maintenance issue of a floodlight pylon that should have been fixed by now. It would be dull and weird. You are using a hefty amount of hindsight here.

I couldn't give a toss about Maidstone' supporters' anger after last season's away match and their muppets giving it the cut throat gestures on the other side of the segregation barrier and stewards.

Who exactly is "venting their anger"? No one except yourself seems that bothered about it as far as I can see, except for being curious to know why it couldn't be played in daylight hours because they didn't realise the pylon is obstructing the pitch. Would it really have made any difference to make an announcement a few days ago that the game may or may not be on, then keep repeating it on a daily basis until finally confirming one way or the other? It's not as if anyone will have paid to be there in advance.

I don't want our Twitter account tweeting about the ongoing maintenance issue of a floodlight pylon that should have been fixed by now. It would be dull and weird. You are using a hefty amount of hindsight here.
I agree. Sensitivity should be applied to a flacid pylon.

Floodlight frenzy! This is a great book by a respected photographer.

Don’t think it needs a lot of hindsight given that most fans knew the floodlights were broken nearly a fortnight ago. If there was a possibility that repairs would not be completed by the time of tomorrow’s scheduled game it would have been nice to know.

Who exactly is "venting their anger"? No one except yourself seems that bothered about it as far as I can see, except for being curious to know why it couldn't be played in daylight hours because they didn't realise the pylon is obstructing the pitch. Would it really have made any difference to make an announcement a few days ago that the game may or may not be on, then keep repeating it on a daily basis until finally confirming one way or the other? It's not as if anyone will have paid to be there in advance.
I take it you’re not on Twitter, total dog-pile going on over there...

I couldn't give a toss about Maidstone' supporters' anger after last season's away match and their muppets giving it the cut throat gestures on the other side of the segregation barrier and stewards.
They truly have some horrible, horrible fans. I remember one trying to shout in our faces because the childman didn't like Hamlet fans occupying 'his' stand and singing louder than his friends, and another squaring up to me for a fight because, well, I wasn't one of their supporters.

(*yes, I know they have lovely fans too, but this one particular game had some of the worst fan attitudes I've ever seen at non league football)

They truly have some horrible, horrible fans. I remember one trying to shout in our faces because the childman didn't like Hamlet fans occupying 'his' stand and singing louder than his friends, and another squaring up to me for a fight because, well, I wasn't one of their supporters.

(*yes, I know they have lovely fans too, but this one particular game had some of the worst fan attitudes I've ever seen at non league football)

I was hoping to see pictures of the bearded steward and the lobster claw again.

Back
Top Bottom