Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet vs Hendon, 13th Aug 2024

The first half was pretty decent from both sides, with good openings created and smart defending, and there could have been more than one goal apiece by half-time. Hamlet took the lead from a counterattack that swept the ball out to the left flank. Jeffrey's near post cross was headed on target by Porter, the keeper did well to block, but the same player followed up with a volley into the roof of the net. Hendon's equaliser came late in the half after one of our corners was cleared. A tactical foul just outside their box halted a breakaway, but the free kick was taken so quickly it barely made any difference, and before our defence could fully regain its shape we were punished by a shot from the edge of our box that looped inside the far post with the aid of a deflection. There was still time for us to survive a penalty shout of the "seen them given" variety when Ross Marshall lost his man outside the right edge of the box, and in attempting to force him towards the byline caused a collision that was thankfully adjudged as a "coming together" by the referee, who gave a goal kick.

The second half was a bit disappointing, as Hendon seemed happy to slow the tempo, while Hamlet weren't making as much of an impression up front. Towards the end it began to feel a bit ominous whenever Hendon put any sort of pressure on our goal, but a minimum of 8 additional minutes was announced despite few real stoppages of any length, and Hamlet seemed to get a second wind. Most of the additional time had elapsed when a corner delivered into a ruck of players at the near post was blocked, apparently for another corner, but the referee awarded us a penalty for handball. It was on my blindside, so I've no real idea what happened. Jeffrey initially seemed poised to take the kick, but he was merely drawing the fire of opponents looking to unsettle our taker while the referee dealt with the inevitable delaying tactics, and Wanadio stepped up to shoot into the keeper's bottom right hand corner.

Not a totally convincing victory, against a team good enough to ask a few difficult questions, but a big improvement on last Saturday.

Bit of a robbery, couldn't see from the outside bar if it was a stonewall penalty or not but felt like a draw was a fair result

both teams seemed to let the 2nd half drift away from them at times. But will happily take the 3 points

Agreed that a draw was a fair result. I didn't notice a handball for the penalty incident and the reaction of the Hendon players suggests that it was harsh.

Thought Wanadio and Jeffrey both looked dangerous. Imagine they're going to be our main attacking threat again this season. Impressed with German at the back as well. First time in a while we've had a centre half that looks comfortable on the ball.

Sure it was going to end 1-1. Left early to get train. Oops!
That late evening service is so annoying, with the "missing" trains when the Beckenham Junction part of the service goes hourly. I caught the 2153 to South Bermondsey with about 90 seconds to spare.

Incidentally the Beckenham Junction line seems to be down for the next few weekend home games, so it'll only be half hourly between London Bridge and Tulse Hill instead of 4 trains an hour on that stretch.

That late evening service is so annoying, with the "missing" trains when the Beckenham Junction part of the service goes hourly. I caught the 2153 to South Bermondsey with about 90 seconds to spare.

Incidentally the Beckenham Junction line seems to be down for the next few weekend home games, so it'll only be half hourly between London Bridge and Tulse Hill instead of 4 trains an hour on that stretch.
Wait til you change onto the chaos that is Thameslink / GN! Thanks for the warning about Beckenham service.
Some decent displays in first 40 ish minutes and German does impress on and off the ball. Porter was alert to take his goal at the second attempt. I know conceding just before halftime is bad but there was little oomph after the interval.

My 2 takeaways. The 6 is a critical position for our midfield to function. It’s a lot of pressure on Hand and Riley to run the midfield on their own and we just look too open. I don’t think mills and porter works. I love millsy to pieces but unless he gets amazing service from out wide, the constant straight direct long balls that he struggles to do anything with just isn’t working. It just gives the opposition the ball back to come straight back at us. I don’t think he and porter work off each other and we don’t get far up the pitch enough to develop better attacking phases of play. I’d prefer him as an impact sub and have some more mobility through the middle.

German was good again and the rb was solid enough on debut apart from the wild lunge that got him a yellow!

Ice baths and 2500 crowd are match winners

Thanks for that, I'm not sure what he wants if he deserved more than a draw but didn't deserve the win - I think the interviewer could have pushed him harder on that point. Joking aside, I think we take for granted how many people turn up to support Dulwich and how much other clubs look forward to playing in front of, probably, their largest crowd of the season and raise their game when they are here. I wonder if Hendon know why they don't get "2,500" and are content with 250 on a Saturday. I suspect a chat with the travelling faithful and a listen to some of their chants might give them some clues.

To be fair to him, there was a widespread feeling around the league the East Bank won Aldershot a few penalties back in the day. Referees at this level are usually just beginning to be exposed to large crowds (relatively speaking.) Not all cope.

I wasn't at the match and am making a general comment. I have absolutely no idea whether this was or wasn't the correct decision.

Edited to say I saw a penalty given at the East Bank end against Hamlet old boy Dave Stephenson which I thought was laughable. (To be clear he had left Hamlet, I was watching as a neutral.) I was discussing penalties at Shots with our match referee a few weeks later, he openly said he thought there was an issue. I mentioned the incident. He asked me who the referee was. I told him, his reply was something like "I'm not surprised."

Fortunately it was quite late on and Shots beat Hampton 5-1 so it didn't really influence the match.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I'm not sure what he wants if he deserved more than a draw but didn't deserve the win - I think the interviewer could have pushed him harder on that point. Joking aside, I think we take for granted how many people turn up to support Dulwich and how much other clubs look forward to playing in front of, probably, their largest crowd of the season and raise their game when they are here. I wonder if Hendon know why they don't get "2,500" and are content with 250 on a Saturday. I suspect a chat with the travelling faithful and a listen to some of their chants might give them some clues.
Highlights here:

I don't think you can blame their manager for being a bit emotional so soon after losing at the death like that, especially when there were two debatable penalty calls that both went against them. Our penalty looks like the sort of incident that may have led to a lengthy video review in a Premier League game, and it's still a bit of a lottery when that happens at that level. There didn't seem to be a particularly strong appeal at the time, but the referee was well placed. I had a close view of the earlier incident, which isn't included in the highlights. I didn't think their player was "looking for contact", as the referee apparently stated. If anything I thought Marshall was looking for contact, but he was crafty. He didn't stick an arm out to push the man, he didn't stick a foot in and trip him; he'd already been beaten for pace and sort of leaned in from behind without making any real challenge. If it had been our forward I'd have felt it was a foul without really expecting to get it.

I didn't notice what any Hendon supporters were chanting, but they've always seemed a generally decent lot in the past. I did look at their Facebook page and couple of halfwits were making the usual ill-informed comment about our club and supporters, as well as discussing the best ways to be annoying and antagonistic. One concluded they should bring England flags and sing God Save the King. (Seriously.) I'm not sure which nationality they think a majority of our supporters will identify with, if not England. It was the first time we've played them at Champion Hill for 7 years, so I guess we're a big day out for the tiny minority of village idiots.

Highlights here:

I don't think you can blame their manager for being a bit emotional so soon after losing at the death like that, especially when there were two debatable penalty calls that both went against them. Our penalty looks like the sort of incident that may have led to a lengthy video review in a Premier League game, and it's still a bit of a lottery when that happens at that level. There didn't seem to be a particularly strong appeal at the time, but the referee was well placed. I had a close view of the earlier incident, which isn't included in the highlights. I didn't think their player was "looking for contact", as the referee apparently stated. If anything I thought Marshall was looking for contact, but he was crafty. He didn't stick an arm out to push the man, he didn't stick a foot in and trip him; he'd already been beaten for pace and sort of leaned in from behind without making any real challenge. If it had been our forward I'd have felt it was a foul without really expecting to get it.

I didn't notice what any Hendon supporters were chanting, but they've always seemed a generally decent lot in the past. I did look at their Facebook page and couple of halfwits were making the usual ill-informed comment about our club and supporters, as well as discussing the best ways to be annoying and antagonistic. One concluded they should bring England flags and sing God Save the King. (Seriously.) I'm not sure which nationality they think a majority of our supporters will identify with, if not England. It was the first time we've played them at Champion Hill for 7 years, so I guess we're a big day out for the tiny minority of village idiots.

My favourite bit with the first half non penalty for Hendon was as Marshall made contact with the forward and went down he headed the ball behind for a corner and the ref gave a goal kick 😂😂

Back
Top Bottom