Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Dual wired speakers question?

UnderOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
I've just for a pair of second hand monitor audio speakers from eBay. I'm just about to set them up to my two channel amp. They're dual wired, but have come with short bit of cable connecting the two terminals. Anyone know what this is for?

beesonthewhatnow? PXL_20220516_183236918.jpg

I was only going to use single wire to connect them. On the old ones I just ignored a set of posts.

Do I leave this cable in place and try and cram the speaker cable in as well?

Depending on their internal spec it’s so you can use an external crossover and biamp them (good), or - more likely - it’s so you can “biwire” them, which is hifi bullshit.

Leave the links in, connect to red and black as normal.

Depending on their internal spec it’s so you can use an external crossover and biamp them (good), or - more likely - it’s so you can “biwire” them, which is hifi bullshit.

Leave the links in, connect to red and black as normal.

Thanks. There is LF and HF (frequency?). Does it matter which I connect to?

Is it a shorting bar, for when you're not bi Wiring?

That's what I'm asking. I don't know much about audio stuff other then these were the same price as cheap sound bar and suspect they will sound way better. They certainly weigh enough!

That's what I'm asking. I don't know much about audio stuff other then these were the same price as cheap sound bar and suspect they will sound way better. They certainly weigh enough!
Just leave them in place, and connect to one of the posts in each pair.

Bollocks. I can't fit my existing speaker cable and these in the slot and the speaker design means I can't go from both directions. Wired into HF first and they were appalling. A bit better on LF but it clearly needs to be there. Put the little bit of cable in the gap at the top of the terminal, but it's a total bodge. Looks like I need to buy something else. :(

The old ones worked fine with me just ignoring a set.

Or use smaller gauge cable to link the lugs making more room for the bigger cables. The short distance means it won't make any real difference to the sound.

Also fiddling about with that really short bridge is going to be a nightmare, get some 2.5mm electrical cable (or 1.5mm) and make the loops nice and long, 60mm/80mm? Whatever makes it easier to wind it all together. You definitely don't need to get rid of the speakers. Eminently doable.

Thanks spitfire. Being impulsive I went on to Amazon and ordered these. Didn't think of making my own.

1652733282551.png

They still don't sound great and they were quite well reviewed, so I really hope it is this. The old old Wharfdale's were pretty good, but I fancied something a bit bigger and I've got another home in mind for the old ones, so it's not just an upgrade for the sake of it!

Thanks spitfire. Being impulsive I went on to Amazon and ordered these. Didn't think of making my own.

View attachment 322909

They still don't sound great and they were quite well reviewed, so I really hope it is this. The old old Wharfdale's were pretty good, but I fancied something a bit bigger and I've got another home in mind for the old ones, so it's not just an upgrade for the sake of it!

perfick.

Arrived and fitted. Bit of a faff to get snug with the cables, but it's certainly sorted everything. They sound amazing now. Like really impressed with what an improvement they are. I'd never heard of Monitor Audio until I started trying to find reviews of eBay listings, but I'm glad I found them. The Bronze B2s can be picked up for less then £100, think they were a fair bit more new.

Now I'm starting to have thoughts on replacing the amp with a new/second hand one. :D

Back
Top Bottom