Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Does anyone have good examples of Cycle Hubs (or wider 'Mobility Hubs') in towns / cities in the UK?

teccuk

fire kills children
Hello!

I'm doing some research for work. There's been a lot of noise about Cycle Hubs over the last 10-20 years, pilot projects and EU funded stuff aside I can't find many examples of ones that have actually gone in and are working.

A Cycle Hub is a place where you can park your bike securely, usually with lockers and maybe showers and even maybe a mechanic.

Bristol has one that is entirely private now (although was set up with council/EU money called Mud Dock. Leeds has one but its part of the university.

The 'mobility hub' adds Elecric Scooters, parcel deliveries and stuff. There's a proposed one in Manchester (https://democracy.manchester.gov.uk/documents/s20550/Ancoats Mobility Hub.pdf) but I don't know if its open.

Anyone know of any others at all?

What do you think of the idea anyway?

That's a good long game if they signed up in 2005.

There's one at MediaCityUK in Salford.
Spotted that after posting

When is/should research for work allowed then? certain number of posts or years membership?

TfGM have a load at various stations around Greater Manchester - they're just secure cycle parking at most locations though, showers only at media city and the city centre ones

TfGM have a load at various stations around Greater Manchester - they're just secure cycle parking at most locations though, showers only at media city and the city centre ones

Same in the west midlands: Find bike storage at a station
except there's only a handful, they are all at stations and none have showers or anything like that.

I think some of them have a cycle tool / pump stand thingy.

New build offices in Birmingham are (mostly at least) required to have secure cycle parking, showers, lockers etc now.

I don't think there should be any hard or fast rule on this - just stop fly-by market researchers and the like. If someone feels like they are a member of the community then it's fine.
Even for work purposes?
The topic could be an interesting thread of course

There's a few in London. Just search 'london bike parking'.

Certain commuter train companies are investing in them too. South West Trains is an example. I've been reasonably impressed with what they provide, at certain stations.

Hello! Research not allowed! read the faqs/rules
HTH!
I'd prefer it if you would use the report button rather than speculate here. In this case, the poster has been here for over 16 years and the post has no direct links to any research so it's absolutely fine!

I'd prefer it if you would use the report button rather than speculate here. In this case, the poster has been here for over 16 years and the post has no direct links to any research so it's absolutely fine!
Ok. I should have looked at their profile before posting too

Thanks!

I note the one in Leeds hasn't been as successful. Evans pulled out (they are having financial difficulties).

Thing is, are they worth the effort. I commuted for years by bike and never used one. Maybe they are more for the 'top end'. Lawyers and the like with expensive bikes who don't mind paying and need to look sharp at work?

Thankyou!

It was more a conversation that pure 'research' I was looking for.

I have an opportunity to push these things, and it's close to my heart, "more cycling / less" cars is good in my book!

[/QUOTE]
I used the one in Cambridge a couple of years ago. It's massive!

That I will check out!

Certain commuter train companies are investing in them too. South West Trains is an example. I've been reasonably impressed with what they provide, at certain stations.

Interesting... I wonder if these are part of franchise agreements. Maybe there is a case for cross subsidising with car park income.

Thank you all so much!

The bike hangars that are gradually being installed in parts of London are relevant to this too, perhaps. Secure storage at "destinations" is important but so is secure storage at home. Especially in London a lot of people just don't have anywhere to store a bike easily/safely and this can impact on people's decisions.

There's generally a big waiting list for these at the moment.

Thanks!

I note the one in Leeds hasn't been as successful. Evans pulled out (they are having financial difficulties).

Thing is, are they worth the effort. I commuted for years by bike and never used one. Maybe they are more for the 'top end'. Lawyers and the like with expensive bikes who don't mind paying and need to look sharp at work?
I used it, my employer makes it available for a very low, one-off price. I am not a lawyer although I do have an expensive bike that I don't want to be stolen.

It's no effort, it's just a card to get in and then find a space. Numbers are limited so there was almost always room.

Bike h
The bike hangars that are gradually being installed in parts of London are relevant to this too, perhaps. Secure storage at "destinations" is important but so is secure storage at home. Especially in London a lot of people just don't have anywhere to store a bike easily/safely and this can impact on people's decisions.

There's generally a big waiting list for these at the moment.
Another thing I need to get my head around actually. Some places use TRO's and other don't. There was a lot of noise about council's being scared of insurance implications and maintenance, but they've gone in in Edinburgh, Bristol and all over the place in London. I might have to dig through old numbers to get a definitive on the TRO issue.

Thank you again. Here is the info (summarised) in case any of you will find it useful in local campaigns etc.

PlaceOpenedCapital FundingRevenue FundingFacilitiesPer dayPer monthPer year
Greater ManchesterOngoingMixed. TfGM. LSTF etc.TfGMn/a£10
Salford Cycle Hub2015Developer. Mixed. Showers. Changing. Lockers.£20£200
Bristol Muddock2003Mixed. EU Civitas. LA.PrivateShowers. Changing. Lockers£5.00£70£200
Leeds Station2010RailPrivateShop£1.50
Grimsby2019FundraisingCICLockers. Mechanic.£1.00
London, Spokesafe2019 (?)Venture CapitalPrivateLockers£3.00£46.75
Cambridge Station2016RailRailn/aFree
Kingston (Middlesex)2021LA. Rail(?)Rail(?)n/aFree

Back
Top Bottom