Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disposing of engine oil

Raheem

I used to give my used engine oil to someone who was able to use it as heating fuel, but they stopped, so I've ended up just storing it.

However, I've recently found out that none of our general rubbish goes to landfill. It all gets incinerated to produce electricity (I have this direct from the person responsible at the council).

Does this mean I actually should be putting oil in the bin (in a container)? You'd think it would be ideal incinerator food.

Anyone know?

I used to give my used engine oil to someone who was able to use it as heating fuel, but they stopped, so I've ended up just storing it.

However, I've recently found out that none of our general rubbish goes to landfill. It all gets incinerated to produce electricity (I have this direct from the person responsible at the council).

Does this mean I actually should be putting oil in the bin (in a container)? You'd think it would be ideal incinerator food.

Anyone know?

would have thought that's a bit dubious

round here, i think you have to take it to the local tip

We try to decrease the amount of stuff going into the landfill site.

All our garbage is taken to the landfill site (tip).
Also, we have weekly recycling for metals, paper, etc. It goes to the municipal recycling plant.

Once a year, our township has a Hazardous Waste day.
They take things like motor oil and old paint.

They also have an E-waste day where they take things like televisions, computers, etc.

They also have an E-waste day where they take things like televisions, computers, etc.
Wish they'd do that here - I've got a few small electrical items (dead kitchen scales, a fan heater and a couple of broken extension leads) that I need to get rid of, and haven't got round to going to the local tip which is a bit of a faff to get to.

Wish they'd do that here - I've got a few small electrical items (dead kitchen scales, a fan heater and a couple of broken extension leads) that I need to get rid of, and haven't got round to going to the local tip which is a bit of a faff to get to.
Try this, there might be somewhere easier

Check your local council.

Round here oil is taken at the local tip site.

Small electrical items can be left on top of your recycling bin on collection day.

Not that they do it now, but a certain railway in Nth Wales used to burn old engine oil as fuel for their steam loco fleet.

About the only benefit was the cheapness !
And there were many problems - I could write a looooong list of just the ones I knew about.

It certainly was, even then, not especially environmentally friendly.
But marginally better than being landfilled ...

Back
Top Bottom