Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dennis Ferrer

ska invita

back on the other side
Any Dennis Ferrer officianados? I only know a couple of his tunes, which i like very much, looks like he has a big discography, and many remixes under his belt - if anyone has some pointers Id appreciate a head start

Used to be a massive fan - had a purple period a few years back (probably around '08). His breakthrough stuff that 'made him' was always the Most Precious Love (vanilla funky house but so perfectly executed and going against the tide away from funky to tech house, it was legenedary. The last great funky House Record) and Cure and the Cause (single handidly started the High Street Deep House genre).

Kind of a clinically produced version of the Kerri Chandler/Karizma/Quentin sound. I think it was Son of Raw that put a lid on his stuff and kind of 'completed' the sound ("peak Ferrer"), though it was a struggle to get too excited about much of his other hits (eg Hey Hey was a huge crossover but did nothing for me). After he got signed to Defected around the time of his album release, he moved away to a more big room sound (typified by Hey Hey and IMO lost his edge).

What he should be encouraged on, was 'discovering' the Martinez brothers. Back when they were proper young 'uns (as in 16 or so), he saw the music they were playing and they wouldn't be the force they are now without him promoting them.

I'll stick my neck out, and aside from Most Precious Love, the remix of Telepopmusik - Love Can Damage Your Health is probably my fave record of his (even if 'that type of record' been done to death looking back now :oops:)

Shit forgot about Sandcastles - Probably his most srs lauded record. It is pretty great tbf :cool:

Used to be a massive fan - had a purple period a few years back (probably around '08). His breakthrough stuff that 'made him' was always the Most Precious Love (vanilla funky house but so perfectly executed and going against the tide away from funky to tech house, it was legenedary. The last great funky House Record) and Cure and the Cause (single handidly started the High Street Deep House genre).

Kind of a clinically produced version of the Kerri Chandler/Karizma/Quentin sound. I think it was Son of Raw that put a lid on his stuff and kind of 'completed' the sound ("peak Ferrer"), though it was a struggle to get too excited about much of his other hits (eg Hey Hey was a huge crossover but did nothing for me). After he got signed to Defected around the time of his album release, he moved away to a more big room sound (typified by Hey Hey and IMO lost his edge).

What he should be encouraged on, was 'discovering' the Martinez brothers. Back when they were proper young 'uns (as in 16 or so), he saw the music they were playing and they wouldn't be the force they are now without him promoting them.

I'll stick my neck out, and aside from Most Precious Love, the remix of Telepopmusik - Love Can Damage Your Health is probably my fave record of his (even if 'that type of record' been done to death looking back now :oops:)

Shit forgot about Sandcastles - Probably his most srs lauded record. It is pretty great tbf :cool:

:thumbs: great post thanks"!

Ive gone through discogs - seems to be

1998 - 2003 - Trad NY soulful/gospel house
2004 - gets a bit deeper/minimal but still soulful touches
2006 - seems to go much more techy and minimal at this point
increasingly techy into the future

As someone not into that sound i cant really say it does much for me

im feeling this little subtle one Marlon D* Vs. Dennis Ferrer - The Breeze

and this too is pretty good

Unsure how much involvement he had but this is the best thing I've heard that he's done

'Sfere remix' it says, but Kerri Chandler and Ferrer worked on this, too.

Unsure how much involvement he had
looking at the (uk broken beat) credits and judging by the (uk broken beat) sound id go as far as saying musically none...

Credits

Got The Bug (Sfere's Horn Mix)Horns [Arranged And Played] – Fabio Morgera
Remix – Sfere
Remix, Producer [Additional] – Dennis Ferrer, Kerri Chandler

i reckon dennis and kerri put some money into it or something...like all those producers on film credits

looking at the (uk broken beat) credits and judging by the (uk broken beat) sound id go as far as saying musically none...

Credits

Got The Bug (Sfere's Horn Mix)Horns [Arranged And Played] – Fabio Morgera
Remix – Sfere
Remix, Producer [Additional] – Dennis Ferrer, Kerri Chandler

i reckon dennis and kerri put some money into it or something...like all those producers on film credits
Hang on, I'm an idiot. Sfere is DF (and KC).

So they remixed it. Now I can instead wonder how much KC did vs DF :D

Back
Top Bottom