Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dead Kennedys' drummer D.H. Peligro dies

Sad, glad I went to see the reformed DKs a few years ago. Excellent Peligro interview from 2004 here:

I felt definitely a part of the band, especially after recording. And it is was a weird thing, because there was some racism going on still, in the South and other parts, and some of the bouncers wouldn't let me into the club. And they'd be like, "You so-and-so, you -" I remember distinctly this guy who was like a skinhead who was like, "If they're black, send 'em back!" - saying that to me outside the gig that we were playing. Meanwhile, they were paying their money to get in, just to find out that I'm the drummer! There were no pictures on the record, so in those days nobody knew what I looked like - or anybody looked like - but they knew the music. And the same thing happened in Texas, with some guy going, "Fake Rasta!" This English guy going, "Fake Rasta! Bah bah bah bah bah bah bah!" and launching into this degrading - you know, like your basic racial slur-type shit. And HE still stood in line to pay to get into the gig. And right after MDC played, it was like BOOM! We're onstage. And I was looking for him, you know? But I knew he was out there.

Shame. I felt like I missed out last time they toured. I hadn't realised he was black till I saw some old sessions on YouTube. Aside from Bad Brains it always seemed a very white scene.

Back
Top Bottom