Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DBS agency hacked, servers encrypted.

There have been times when that would have kept me out of a job. Someone on these boards was talking about waiting for a DbS to come through. Pretty harsh.

Possibly me. I am two weeks into my third month of waiting for mine. Some bloke on that BBC report was moaning about 3 weeks lol.

For anyone who isn't aware:

The DBS process has 5 stages. The first 3 stages take about a week and then stage 4 is where the records held by the police service are checked. This is the part where the wait begins. The police have 60 days from the date it hits their records office before you can even ask them any questions whatsoever. Not sure who those people whose application were taking 3 weeks were talking to but it's not the police.

So that's a week's for the first 3 stages and then 8 and a half for the next stage and then the police get another two weeks to respond to your query as to why it is taking so long and then after that you can email them and at that point they really really reeeeally do have to do something about your inquiries.

To sum up, 1 week for the first 3 stages and then 10 and a half for the police check AND THEN... stage 5 takes about half a week to print it out. Total = 12 weeks.

You will, of course, be wondering why yours only took a minute? It's because you don't have a criminal record.

The DBS process has 5 stages. The first 3 stages take about a week and then stage 4 is where the records held by the police service are checked. This is the part where the wait begins. The police have 60 days from the date it hits their records office before you can even ask them any questions whatsoever. Not sure who those people whose application were taking 3 weeks were talking to but it's not the police.

So that's a week's for the first 3 stages and then 8 and a half for the next stage and then the police get another two weeks to respond to your query as to why it is taking so long and then after that you can email them and at that point they really really reeeeally do have to do something about your inquiries.

To sum up, 1 week for the first 3 stages and then 10 and a half for the police check AND THEN... stage 5 takes about half a week to print it out. Total = 12 weeks.

You will, of course, be wondering why yours only took a minute? It's because you don't have a criminal record.
Is that for enhanced though? I'm sure I've had a DBS issued quicker than that but I don't usually have to get an enhanced.

Reactions: bmd
I thought they got rid of the ‘enhanced’ one and it’s called ‘subject access review’ now…?
There is basic, standard and enhanced. I think any employer can do a basic, a standard is for positions of trust and enhanced is for working with kids. I think. I've only ever had enhanced ones.

There is basic, standard and enhanced. I think any employer can do a basic, a standard is for positions of trust and enhanced is for working with kids. I think. I've only ever had enhanced ones.

I also thought that you can request for one on your employers behalf but they can’t just vet you without you agreeing (obviously by applying for the job initially you will have).

And I know that the enhanced can include any notes the police have made about you any time they’ve come across you, such as those illegal stop and searches they forced on me etc

I also thought that you can request for one on your employers behalf but they can’t just vet you without you agreeing (obviously by applying for the job initially you will have).

And I know that the enhanced can include any notes the police have made about you any time they’ve come across you, such as those illegal stop and searches they forced on me etc

Kind of. The employer has to arrange it, but you get the form to complete and the results go to you.

Been vetted for years working with kids, get a job in IT and one of my first tasks was to arrange them for everyone.

Is that for enhanced though? I'm sure I've had a DBS issued quicker than that but I don't usually have to get an enhanced.

I forget there’s any other tbh, never had one but yes, it’s much faster for a standard check. It‘s much faster for an enhanced as long as you have a clear record. My gf has an enhanced and she applied for a job at the same time as me and has been working for them for two months now as her enhanced DBS took just over a week.

As an aside, there are companies who make their money by applying for a DBS for a company. Basically being a go between. I’m just not sure what they do because the whole process is automated. I’m thinking of setting one up lol.

Last edited:

They can but only if relevant to the post you're applying for, but I've never heard of anyone I know having anything on apart from actual convictions, and all have had enhanced. And AFAIK stop and searches can never go on, but some mental health stuff and arrests with no charge can, especially multiple ones.

An employer would have no reason to vet you unless you applied to work with them.

Any police intelligence on record used to be included as a matter of course but that changed around 10 years ago. There’s still a dedicated space on the back for any additional notes but I’m not actually sure why they do choose to include anything on record that a person has not been charged with. Does anyone know?

An employer would have no reason to vet you unless you applied to work with them.

Any police intelligence on record used to be included as a matter of course but that changed around 10 years ago. There’s still a dedicated space on the back for any additional notes but I’m not actually sure why they do choose to include anything on record that a person has not been charged with. Does anyone know?

They can if it's relevant to the job but it very, very rarely gets used. Someone explained that say you applied for a job in a shelter for domestic violence and you'd had ten arrests for that offence but no charge/conviction, they could note that as it was relevant to the position.

As an aside, there are companies who make their money by applying for a DBS for a company. Basically being a go between. I’m just not sure what they do because the whole process is automated. I’m thinking of setting one up lol.

You really need to use one unless your huge. When I had 3 to arrange and it wasn't my money it was a bit of a no brainier if just for the advice.

If you do it I'll use you next time :D

• Haha

You will, of course, be wondering why yours only took a minute? It's because you don't have a criminal record
Just to clarify, you're talking about the enhanced one? Surely? The basic one once came through within 24 hours for me.

You really need to use one unless your huge. When I had 3 to arrange and it wasn't my money it was a bit of a no brainier if just for the advice.

If you do it I'll use you next time :D

LOL!

Mate, that is typical me. Coming out with bare shit about something I have zero clue about! I’m just so fed up waiting for mine to come. I am definitely joining the update service. Even though it pains me.

LOL!

Mate, that is typical me. Coming out with bare shit about something I have zero clue about! I’m just so fed up waiting for mine to come. I am definitely joining the update service. Even though it pains me.

Can't be that hard right? Do some reading and pay someone to do a website for you. $profit.

I mean if it was that easy everyone would do it. Google shows they probably are.

Back
Top Bottom