Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Day out in Bath with a teenager

ATOMIC SUPLEX

I am visiting my folks in Westbury for a rare 'not christmas' visit.
This means that I will be able to visit Bath for the day. I used to live there (and would visit for nights out and shopping trips when I didn't).
However I have not been back in about 20 years. I did plan on dropping off my teen and going for a run for a few hours down every memory lane I could find. . . however she says she would rather come along than sit around in Westbury.
Problem is I don't know what is actually worth doing in Bath and I am not sure I ever did much more than going to record shops, walcott market or the pub when I did live there.

Probably want to visit some teenage girl friendly places, and get some lunch to eat somewhere nice. I only have one day.

Isn't there a Bath fashion museum?

Not sure it would appeal to said teenager but you could both go and chuckle at how people used to dress.

Take her to Bath Spa. Pricey but amazing views from the pool on the roof over the Abbey!
I’m taking my teenager to Bath next month and this is exactly what we’re going to do 😎

ATOMIC SUPLEX haven’t been to Bath for years, but iirc it’s a very nice place to eat nice food and wander round feeling as though you’ve stepped into a period drama.

Museum of Costume - if that's her thing.
or Roman Baths if she's into history [I went into the "Cross Bath" a few years ago] and there's the Georgian architecture, Pump Room and Bath Abbey.

Kennet & Avon canal or the River itself, or bits like Putney Bridge [I'm into Railways, so I'ld be pottering around the "artisan market" in Bath Green Park / Queen's Square - the S&D terminus ]...

Masses of all sorts of shops [no idea what's there now as most of that's been massively rebuilt since my time] ...

ATOMIC SUPLEX haven’t been to Bath for years, but iirc it’s a very nice place to eat nice food and wander round feeling as though you’ve stepped into a period drama.
When I lived there (late teens) they twice filmed a period drama on my street (they once cobbled pretty much the whole thing one sunday morning and took it all up again in the afternoon). and would often film in a house a couple of doors down for the posho interiors.

I don't go as often as I used to, but there are a couple of great book shops, Mr B's Emporium, and Topping and Company.

Food wise, Hondo Sushi probably does the best sushi in Bath, Yak Yeti Yak for decent Nepalese food, the Scallop Shell for good fish and chips, Giggling Squid for modern Thai food.

If you've not been for a while, the Southgate Shopping Centre will have been built since you last came, which has all your usual chain stores etc. right next to the train station.

When I'm in Bath nowadays, I usually try and do some walking, but your daughter might not be up for that. Skyline walk has great views, while a walk down the canal is flat, peaceful and idyllic, especially once you get out to Bathampton and beyond!

I haven't been to Bath in years. Last time I was there I think I spent most of it in a record shop. Though I did once also spend an evening at the Royal United Hospital courtesy of a hockey related injury while playing an away game. That's all my Bath stories.

Another vote for Bath Spa. My daughter was at Bath Uni - that was her favourite treat when mrs mx went to see her.

Go shopping
Go to the spa
Go to the Roman Baths
Have some food - various chains and some good independent places. Most arent that amazing though.
Go to the parks weather permitting - Victoria Park below the Royal Crescent has a botanical garden cafes and also an ice skating rink from November (?) I think. Sydney Gardens is also lush if youre having a walk and leads onto the canal.

Don't tell anyone I said this but there's a cycle path between Bath and Bristol, along a disused railway track. My boy went to Bristol uni and made me ride it once.

Excellent afternoon.
I've always wanted to use this. Never had any reason to go to Bristol though.

I’m taking my teenager to Bath next month and this is exactly what we’re going to do 😎

Or you could wander around some dodgy estates Twerton way, about as far removed from Jane Austen as it is possible to be.

Only thing I remember teens doing is diving off the bridge and shooting the weir which is dangerous all year round and fucking chilly at the minute I should imagine. We lived a fair bit north but did visit occasionally. Isn't there a Museum of Americana somewhere nearby in a big old stately home?

Only thing I remember teens doing is diving off the bridge and shooting the weir which is dangerous all year round and fucking chilly at the minute I should imagine. We lived a fair bit north but did visit occasionally. Isn't there a Museum of Americana somewhere nearby in a big old stately home?

Yes the American Museum on Calverton Down. I don't remember it being so amazing except on Independence Day when the re-enactment lot do a show firing all their muskets and canon on the lawn.

Haven't been there in years but liked going there.

Guild Hall Market is good for nosing around and traditional and slightly odd stalls. Right next to Pultney bridge too with shops on it etc.

There's usually some good busking by the abbey in the square courtyard there. Sometimes awesome music.

Bath was mega packed llast time I was in town btw. Crazy crazy busy.

Back
Top Bottom