Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

D Stock trains on London Underground due to disappear

editor

hiraethified
d.jpg

I liked these...

D Stock trains, the bell tolls for thee.

This Friday — 21 April — the remaining boxy vehicles will clatter their way along the District line for the final time, before screeching to an everlasting halt.*

The trains were brought into service on 21 January 1980, and have gradually been replaced since 2015, with the air conditioned, walk-through S Stock trains we've become familiar with over the last few years.

These Tube Trains Are About To Disappear Forever

Much prefer the S Stock trains so not particularly sorry to lose these tbh. They're not even easy on the eye.

Grew up with these on the Metropolitan line in from Croxley so for me they will always be 'my proper' tube trains. But the new ones are better.

I wonder if they will be retired to frolic on the Isle of Wight?
There is actually a company who want to refurb them with diesel engines and use them to replace the Pacers that are coming to end of life.

Where-next-for-the-D-Train-Thumb.jpg

Vivarail delivering local rail solutions - Vivarail

Missing the point. Everything is skewed in favour of London to the detriment of the rest of the country. That includes a massive disparity in investment per capita on transport. Not surprising London prospers when it continually gets lavish public funding - a vicious circle.

Grew up with these on the Metropolitan line in from Croxley so for me they will always be 'my proper' tube trains. But the new ones are better.

I wonder if they will be retired to frolic on the Isle of Wight?

Metropolitan Line ran A Stock (up to about 2012), similar flat sided cars by very different interiors.
Anyway R.I.P. The Diccys

meh

the pre-war stuff that the D stock replaced was better

450px-CO_Stock_at_Barking.jpg
Just about caught the last of these beauties in service ...fabulous comfy seats and character. the flaring was not aerodynamics , but an attempt to get people to stand back from the platfrom edge. Red trains just seem so right.

Was clearing out the garage today and found Bakerloo internal car number 012350 internal car number badge which I purchased Got a set of those train number plates - solid metal - at a sale in Acton Works in 1983. Going to refurbish and polish up for my new study.

Last D stock out on Friday - will be there ....very reliable trains ......not the same as the A stock , but good workhorses - and done a lot of good work.

Don't you think that's a mite fucked up? The only other country with such a disproportionately large amount of GDP in the capital's likely Ireland. Certainly not the case in France, Germany, Italy etc

Those countries have land borders in various directions. For the UK and Ireland the nearest countries are all in one direction.

Those countries have land borders in various directions. For the UK and Ireland the nearest countries are all in one direction.
How quickly Gibraltar's forgotten. But more importantly it is bad news for a country when its capital city is so much larger and more important economically than the second, third and fourth largest city. It distorts priorities. It distorts investment, which goes disproportionately to the capital.

How quickly Gibraltar's forgotten. But more importantly it is bad news for a country when its capital city is so much larger and more important economically than the second, third and fourth largest city. It distorts priorities. It distorts investment, which goes disproportionately to the capital.

The point being the capital is often like that for reasons. In the absence of regional geographic industries as pull factors like mining or shipbuilding we'd have to do a Brasilia to drag money out of London.

Don't you think that's a mite fucked up? The only other country with such a disproportionately large amount of GDP in the capital's likely Ireland. Certainly not the case in France, Germany, Italy etc

So what should be done ?

Move parliament won't work unless you basically move all government.

You could conceivably move the House of Lords.

Most government departments have gone.

Alex

The point being the capital is often like that for reasons. In the absence of regional geographic industries as pull factors like mining or shipbuilding we'd have to do a Brasilia to drag money out of London.

They should move the whole of government to provide more of a balance - other countries have separate economic and political capitals, and there is no reason it wouldn't work here. The physical distance between government and the city of london would help too, at least it wouldn't be quite as cosy as it is currently.

Most government departments have gone.

They haven't all 'mostly gone' - that just isn't true. The main departments are all based in London, with regional offices. There were reports last year that one department (BIS I think) was centralising functions previously based in Sheffield back to London.

They should move the whole of government to provide more of a balance - other countries have separate economic and political capitals, and there is no reason it wouldn't work here. The physical distance between government and the city of london would help too, at least it wouldn't be quite as cosy as it is currently.

They haven't all 'mostly gone' - that just isn't true. The main departments are all based in London, with regional offices. There were reports last year that one department (BIS I think) was centralising functions previously based in Sheffield back to London.

Yes - you are correct Civil Service statistics - Office for National Statistics

Total percentage in London same as 10 years ago.

Is the answer to move parliament ?

Alex

Yes - you are correct Civil Service statistics - Office for National Statistics

Total percentage in London same as 10 years ago.

Is the answer to move parliament ?

Alex

Move the lot in my view. Parliament, Whitehall and any associated functions. It would help another city in the country and create a counterweight to the malign influence London has on the nation. The decrepitude of Parliament is the perfect opportunity - move that first, then government departments (accounting for commitments to building leases, etc.). It would probably take at least ten years to do but would be worth it in the long run.

Given technological developments, there could even be a multi-centre model, with departments scattered in different cities across the North and Midlands, but with Parliament somewhere in the North (i.e. as far from London as possible in England).

Back
Top Bottom