Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Councillor Resigns From Housing Association In Protest Over Bedroom Tax

framed

Leave it!
Firebrand Councillor Billy McAllister Resigns From Housing Association In Protest Over Bedroom Tax

billy-mcallister-898821152.jpg

A CITY councillor has resigned from the board of a housing association in protest over the bedroom tax.

Canal representative Billy McAllister quit Maryhill Housing Association to highlight his refusal to evict tenants who have fallen into rent arrears as a result of the controversial welfare reform.

His resignation came the day after a survey from council umbrella body Cosla revealed that rent arrears for social housing were up year-on-year by £2million in April.

Three-quarters of councils blamed the bedroom tax for the rise.

McAllister, deputy leader of the SNP’s Glasgow group, slammed the “iniquitous tax” and warned that the arrears it is causing could destroy communities.

He said: “Someone needs to take a stand here and I will not evict a tenant on the grounds of bedroom tax.

“Those affected are the poorest of the poor, normal people who have done nothing to deserve the penury inflicted upon them by a callous Tory government.”

McAllister warned that the system housing associations use to evict tenants could be abused by those with personal grudges.

He said: “Worse still is the flawed system that sees board members, housing association tenants themselves, ratifying the evictions of their neighbours.

“This will tear apart communities, as well as being susceptible to those who hold grudges.”

The secretary of local activist group Unite Canal Community Branch praised Councillor McAllister’s stand.

Alex O’Kane said: “He’s doing the honourable thing.

“Neighbours passing judgement on neighbours is a dangerous thing and has the potential to cause massive tension in communities.”

I'm not sure quite what quitting does though. Wouldn't it be better to stay and fight?? :confused:
I really hope there are no evictions because it WILL get ugly :(

I don't know why Glasgow doesn't do what one of the other councils did and reclassify all 2 beds as 1 bedrooms - it's not like there's a surplus of one bed flats.

council umbrella body Cosla revealed that rent arrears for social housing were up year-on-year by £2million in April.

Three-quarters of councils blamed the bedroom tax for the rise.

seems a but odd, I thought the council tax only came in on 1st April 2013, so the £2MM arrears would seem to have accrued prior to the new rules. I don't like the new rules, but it does seem like political grandstanding

council umbrella body Cosla revealed that rent arrears for social housing were up year-on-year by £2million in April.

seems a but odd, I thought the council tax only came in on 1st April 2013, so the £2MM arrears would seem to have accrued prior to the new rules. I don't like the new rules, but it does seem like political grandstanding

£2 million is around two weeks worth of arrears for all affected tenants, it is not an unrealistic figure to have accrued in Scotland within the first 4 weeks of bedroom tax being implemented.

"Overall cost of the penalties

We estimate the average reduction to be around £11 per week per household.

If households were to take no mitigating action, this would result in an estimated total reduction in Housing Benefit payments to Scotland of around £50 million per annum."

www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0042/00426393.docx‎ [word document]

Back
Top Bottom