Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Converted campervan question

Fried_chicken

Gypsy Rose........
Quick question guys, have just bought a van it has a small 7kg calor gas safely strapped in but no drop vent, I will look into installing it eventually, however was just wondering if I am legal to drive/use it in the meantime. Its only classed as a panel van on the v5

Thanks in advance

Quick question guys, have just bought a van it has a small 7kg calor gas safely strapped in but no drop vent, I will look into installing it eventually, however was just wondering if I am legal to drive/use it in the meantime. Its only classed as a panel van on the v5

Thanks in advance
Yeah it’s fine.

It’s almost impossible to get small van conversions reclassified by the dvla. Just for some awareness you need to research your speeds as a panel van ad they differ to cars/motorhomes and lots of vanners get fines as they don’t realise, if the interior is set up as a permanent camper though you can generally dispute them.

There’s no legal requirement for habitation checks etc on vans and no basic safety certification for gas installation etc, but those things are available. It’s a bit of a mine field

Yeah it’s fine.

It’s almost impossible to get small van conversions reclassified by the dvla. Just for some awareness you need to research your speeds as a panel van ad they differ to cars/motorhomes and lots of vanners get fines as they don’t realise, if the interior is set up as a permanent camper though you can generally dispute them.

There’s no legal requirement for habitation checks etc on vans and no basic safety certification for gas installation etc, but those things are available. It’s a bit of a mine field
Whatever you do make sure you are gas safe.

Years ago I knew someone who, to save money, slept in his van and used an unvented gas heater. He died, leaving a wife and two young kids. Just to save a few quid.

Last edited:
Whatever you do make sure you are gas safe.

Years ago I knew someone who, to save money, septiembre in his van and used an unvented gas heater. He died, leaving a wife and two young kids. Just to save a few quid.
Absolutely. My gas cupboard wasn’t vented and I paid to have a vent put in. I almost never use the gas.

If I was converting my own van I would even bother having gas installed. I keep CO and smoke detectors in the van too

Habitation checks are overpriced moneyspinners for motorhome servicers, they just rip off OAPs with jumbo motorhomes. it's really only the gas that I'd worry about.

Join one of the many FB van groups and you will find plenty of help. And the inevitable conflicting advice, but you soon work out who knows what they are talking about!

Gas checks are a requirement if the van is rented out, but it doesn't sound like that's a factor here.
A lot of campervan insurance policies require you to have a fire extinguisher on board as well.

Back
Top Bottom