Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Condiment trouble!

Boppity

Meet me in Outer Space.
My mother and I purchased a jar of sauce that I believe to be polish a while back. It was a type of beetroot and horseradish concoction which tasted AY-MAY-ZING with roast meat. We got it in Tescos but they no longer stock it and I can't remember what it's called. :(

Does anyone know what it is that I might be referring to?! I must find it!

Surely there will be a corner shop that sells Polish food near you? They normally have more range than the supermarkets.

Surely there will be a corner shop that sells Polish food near you? They normally have more range than the supermarkets.

There is, but I thought I'd have better luck if I went along with the name of what I was looking for. :D

There is, but I thought I'd have better luck if I went along with the name of what I was looking for. :D
Live a little!

Anyway most food has pictures of what is in it on the label. POlish stuff is normally in jars as well making it even simpler. *shrug*

Live a little!

Anyway most food has pictures of what is in it on the label. POlish stuff is normally in jars as well making it even simpler. *shrug*

I ended up with a jar of something perfectly beetrooty but unhorseradishy last time I tried that!

I actually don't know what a horse radish looks like. :eek:

Like a giant parsnipy thing right? I think?
Look at the picture of the jar at the top of this thread. The root thingie that looks like a parsnip that shagged some ginger, that's horseradish.

FYI, behold - horseradish:

94-horseradish.jpg

That is the wrong foliage :hmm:

Not sure it's even right for parsnip ...

It's actually not related to either parsnip or ginger ... it's in the cabbage / mustard family .

You can find it in a lot of country hedges - for years I thought it was dock.

A right swine to pull up though apparently ...

horseradish.gif

FWIW the Jewish food sections of supermarkets sells the beetroot & horseradish thing if you can't find it in with the Polish food (with diverse ways of spelling "chrane").
I don't suppose it'd work with veggie food ?
It will. It goes well with eggs, cheese, hummus... :)

Look at the picture of the jar at the top of this thread. The root thingie that looks like a parsnip that shagged some ginger, that's horseradish.

FYI, behold - horseradish:

94-horseradish.jpg

That made me laugh out loud to myself, good one :D

I bloody love horseradish.

And you don't need to buy it. Just boil up some beetroot and grate them. Then stick some strong horseradish in from a jar. Add sugar and vinegar (not much) Jobs a goodun.

I bloody love horseradish.

And you don't need to buy it. Just boil up some beetroot and grate them. Then stick some strong horseradish in from a jar. Add sugar and vinegar (not much) Jobs a goodun.
even cheaper find some wild horsraddish and dig it up if no one looking and its not by a road!

I don't know if you've found what you're looking for but I noticed today they sell Beetroot & Horseradish Relish in my local Waitrose.

You can get it in Asda if the branch has a section for Jewish food.

Back
Top Bottom