Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coffee making accessories for the coffee wanker in your life

I don't think this is fair. Certainly the coffee doesn't taste like French press. I suspect it get a bit more pressure through it and you get more water out of the grounds at the end

I use one a lot and it’s good but it is at heart a very simple little gizmo and thankfully less of a pita than a French press to clean up

The pucks it makes are just so much easier to deal with

I've got stuck in the plunger goes sticky > don't use it because it's annoying > plunger gets stickier Aeropress cycle

Can someone please be more specific about the Krups grinder please? What model is it please?

I’m now doubting my purchase of the Groove Compact grinder….

I think I’ve impulse purchased something unnecessarily….

abe11825 May Kasahara

We have the "Krups Type 203 Household Coffee Mill". It's definitely seen better days, based on the discoloration of the white, however, the mill part works brand new still. I do not know how much my parents originally paid for it, so I can't tell you what a good price is these days on it.

Last time I used it, I ground Peet's Dark Roast Coffee beans to a variation of coarseness. I wasn't paying too much attention at first, so I've got a "mixed bag" of beans in a recyclable container (used Starbucks iced coffee container - the type where you purchase the brew in the stores. I ended up washing it out to put other stuff in). I was given a 2 pound bag of the beans because the person who purchased it, had asked if we had a grinder because she wanted to try this coffee and bought it at a wholesale club. She ended up not liking it as it is dark roast and not her favorite type of coffee. She gave me the bag and I mixed up enough beans to fill half the container and store the rest of the beans in a different airtight container for future use.

Whenever I want to make cold brew, I take some of the ground coffee and put it in the cold brew contraption and let it do its thing for 24 hours. Surprisingly, it comes out all right, as my mother isn't a dark roast person (like her friend), but last week when I made it, she couldn't get enough of it.

Be careful as to how much beans you put in the grinder. If you over fill it, you're not going to get an even distribution of ground beans the way you'd want. But don't under fill either, because then you're going to need to be standing there all day if you're looking to fill a container like I was doing.

Pictures attached of what we have, next to a little measuring cup for size comparison.

Hope that helps!

e2a: the white bit on the side of the clear top is what whirrs the grinder. There's no on or off switch. Once the top goes on, you push down on that white bit and it starts the grinding. Hold it down, grinding goes longer. Speed depends on your pressing that piece of plastic.

And this is not dishwasher safe!

Attachments

• IMG_8027.JPG
    IMG_8027.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8026.JPG
    IMG_8026.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8025.JPG
    IMG_8025.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8024.JPG
    IMG_8024.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8023.JPG
    IMG_8023.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8022.JPG
    IMG_8022.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8021.JPG
    IMG_8021.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 4
I have to drink from a plastic, lidded cup at work for safety. I cannot stand coffee in a plastic cup so have just spent nearly fifteen quid on a fancy plastic outside, ceramic mug inside. First money I've spent on fancy coffee in many years.

We have the "Krups Type 203 Household Coffee Mill". It's definitely seen better days, based on the discoloration of the white, however, the mill part works brand new still. I do not know how much my parents originally paid for it, so I can't tell you what a good price is these days on it.

Last time I used it, I ground Peet's Dark Roast Coffee beans to a variation of coarseness. I wasn't paying too much attention at first, so I've got a "mixed bag" of beans in a recyclable container (used Starbucks iced coffee container - the type where you purchase the brew in the stores. I ended up washing it out to put other stuff in). I was given a 2 pound bag of the beans because the person who purchased it, had asked if we had a grinder because she wanted to try this coffee and bought it at a wholesale club. She ended up not liking it as it is dark roast and not her favorite type of coffee. She gave me the bag and I mixed up enough beans to fill half the container and store the rest of the beans in a different airtight container for future use.

Whenever I want to make cold brew, I take some of the ground coffee and put it in the cold brew contraption and let it do its thing for 24 hours. Surprisingly, it comes out all right, as my mother isn't a dark roast person (like her friend), but last week when I made it, she couldn't get enough of it.

Be careful as to how much beans you put in the grinder. If you over fill it, you're not going to get an even distribution of ground beans the way you'd want. But don't under fill either, because then you're going to need to be standing there all day if you're looking to fill a container like I was doing.

Pictures attached of what we have, next to a little measuring cup for size comparison.

Hope that helps!

e2a: the white bit on the side of the clear top is what whirrs the grinder. There's no on or off switch. Once the top goes on, you push down on that white bit and it starts the grinding. Hold it down, grinding goes longer. Speed depends on your pressing that piece of plastic.

And this is not dishwasher safe!
No.
A mill will not do.
Burrs to CRUSH the coffee is the best way to get the flavours and notes.
From a coffee wanker 😁

KRUPS Arabica Digital Automatic Coffee Machine, Bean to Cup, Espresso & Cappuccino Maker, 1.7 litre Water Tank, Silver, EA817840

Own and like...but not sure I'd would if I didn't live in Scotland....really doesn't get on with hard water

No.
A mill will not do.
Burrs to CRUSH the coffee is the best way to get the flavours and notes.
From a coffee wanker 😁

(I'm not a coffee wanker and don't pretend to be)

That's fine about a mill vs a burr. I don't use the Krups on a daily basis. It is something we've had in our house for decades and it gets the job done for what we want to do with the coffee (when we've had "grind your own" bean coffee). Like I said, someone asked us to grind a big bag of beans for them, they hated the roast and then gave the rest of the bag to me. I'm using it as cold brew, which tastes okay. I get to add creamer to it if I want and if someone is over and needs sugar, they can add that too.

The only time I turn my nose up at coffee (and won't drink it) is when it's a flavored roast that's being run through a Keurig machine. To me, the burnt plastic taste (of the container the coffee is in) comes out more with whatever the flavor of the roast is supposed to be. I taste more of the plastic than the flavor, even with creamer. Unfortunately, all we have for a machine in my house is a Keurig and I've made it known to limit the expenditure of flavored coffee because it is just gross. I'd rather not be drinking any coffee brewed from a little tiny plastic cup, but when you don't live alone, you're at the mercy of everyone else. :facepalm: Plus counter space - two coffee makers is not needed.:rolleyes:

If I had my druthers, I'd go "old fashion" with a Mr. Coffee and pre-ground bag of coffee. Mix my own stuff up, including the purchase of a flavored roast. But again, I don't live alone, so I must drink branded coffee being heated in a plastic cup. :thumbsdown:

I find coffee utterly revolting so it's all immaterial to me, but this (plus an Aeropress) is Mr K's set up - he's the sole coffee drinker in the house and it seems to work well for him:

View attachment 444032
The beans are from our friends' business:

Apparently they're top tier. If you like that sort of thing.

I had one of those grinders once. An absolute piece of crap!

They grind ok but the cut-out switch that stops you from grinding your fingers in the chamber is absolute cap and badly sited. So as you grind, it fills-up with coffee grounds, then fails.

After having to strip it/clean it out/put it back together several times in a matter of months, I gave it away to a friend who doesn't drink much real coffee and loves tinkering. Got myself two burr grinders after that - A medium sized Graef, which is great and holds a weeks worth of beans at my normal consumption rate and a smaller/more upmarket Krups burr grinder that was half price in a sale, which although the purists turn-up their noses a bit at, I find grinds very well indeed. I put something more exotic/interesting/my own blends in it
Apart from regular/straightforward cleans, on maybe a 2-3 month basis, both grinders have performed perfectly for twelve and eleven years respectively and fingers-crossed, look to be set to go on for many more. :)

I have two other blade grinders - one old that I rehomed to work and another that was given as a present. I may use it as a spice/leaf grinder as it has the accessories to grind a variety of things.

These seem to be the latest "must have" in the coffee wanker world - pin distributors. I have yet to feel the need to try one though as I never seem to have any problems with my grounds. You can get them from a fiver to silly-money depending on what you want.

:)

Back
Top Bottom