Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cloud storage for photos

paul russell999

Hi there

I was wondering what people are using for an off-site back-up for their photos...

I have quite a few external hard drives but want an off-site back-up. Plus I'm running out of space on my external hard drives.

I've been using the free Dropbox for various things for ages, and Dropbox Plus at 2 TB at a tenner a month might be enough for me, but I might need a bit more space, like 5 TB

I have a Flickr Pro account, which in theory offers unlimited storage, but for mass uploads, their Uploadr (sic) bit of software doesn't really seem to work and then stores all your photos as individual albums in Flickr, without nesting the folders. Nightmare.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've been using the Amazon unlimited back up that comes free with Prime.
Google Photos has been a brilliant free back up too as it has superb search capabilities (face-ID, search by location, objects or even text in photos etc), but they're going to start charging for that soon.

I heard talk about Google reducing their storage prices soon, so maybe I'll fork out for it it comes down enough in price.

I use Ipernity, having become exceedingly p155ed off with fl1ckr a few years ago.

There's a tiered price for users, including the option for larger storage amounts.

Thanks for that. Is it straightforward to upload years of photos to the Amazon Prime back up, and to organise them?

Other services that I've seen recommended like Backblaze, IDrive and paid-for Dropbox have terrible reviews on TrustPilot!

I've been using the Amazon unlimited back up that comes free with Prime.
Google Photos has been a brilliant free back up too as it has superb search capabilities (face-ID, search by location, objects or even text in photos etc), but they're going to start charging for that soon.

I heard talk about Google reducing their storage prices soon, so maybe I'll fork out for it it comes down enough in price.

Thanks for that. Is it straightforward to upload years of photos to the Amazon Prime back up, and to organise them?

Other services that I've seen recommended like Backblaze, IDrive and paid-for Dropbox have terrible reviews on TrustPilot!
I went to check and realised that I needed to log back into the app, but normally it just whirrs away in the background. I've got over 575,000 images on there. If you're already on Prime, it's a no brainer but it's pretty basic stuff.

I think that I will eventually fork out for Google Photos storage though, mainly because of its indexing/search capabilities (I've never got wrong to properly adding tags to my images and it feels like it's too late now!). ,

I went to check and realised that I needed to log back into the app, but normally it just whirrs away in the background. I've got over 575,000 images on there. If you're already on Prime, it's a no brainer but it's pretty basic stuff.

I think that I will eventually fork out for Google Photos storage though, mainly because of its indexing/search capabilities (I've never got wrong to properly adding tags to my images and it feels like it's too late now!). ,

Thanks.

"I've never got wrong to properly adding tags to my images and it feels like it's too late now!"

The main reason I'm paying £6 per month for Flickr Pro is that it has all my photos that are not rubbish and they are tagged with keywords, so it's easier to find a photo there than on my own hard drives. Doh.

The main reason I'm paying £6 per month for Flickr Pro is that it has all my photos that are not rubbish and they are tagged with keywords, so it's easier to find a photo there than on my own hard drives. Doh.
I've found the Google indexing good enough for my needs now as you can search by date, 'people, things & places' and get people (and pets!) auto-tagged.

e.g.:

1610922913528.png

Amazon prime photos....and a super pants old nas drive for backup

I've been playing around today and realized my canon can link direct to my phone and hotspot tablet for real time backup and basic editing out on the go to Amazon photo......old news to many ... but I'm mildly blown away

Hi there

I was wondering what people are using for an off-site back-up for their photos...

I have quite a few external hard drives but want an off-site back-up. Plus I'm running out of space on my external hard drives.

I've been using the free Dropbox for various things for ages, and Dropbox Plus at 2 TB at a tenner a month might be enough for me, but I might need a bit more space, like 5 TB

I have a Flickr Pro account, which in theory offers unlimited storage, but for mass uploads, their Uploadr (sic) bit of software doesn't really seem to work and then stores all your photos as individual albums in Flickr, without nesting the folders. Nightmare.

Thanks.
Good comparison here:

In short: Flickr then Google

Back
Top Bottom