Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clothes Moth

Saunders

My late mother was a knitwear designer in a small way and I have all her samples and left garments. She’d packed them all away in strong canvas bags, with sachets of lavender from her garden, all of which have worked so far in keeping the moth out. It was like finding treasure when we unzipped the bags with them in.

I’m thinking about how I keep them safe until I’m ready to do something with them. I’ve seen advice to freeze things for 3 days, and I’ve bought some of those plastic bags to use with a hoover. They’re currently taking up space in my sitting room. Which is fine, but not ideal for me.

Anyone have any advice/ experience?

Be aware though that moth balls are deadly to cats, birds, and some other pet species! (Not just ingested, but the fumes from them)

So check before getting any.

I think your mother was probably on the right track with the lavender, it acts quite well as a deterrent.

My late mother was a knitwear designer in a small way and I have all her samples and left garments. She’d packed them all away in strong canvas bags, with sachets of lavender from her garden, all of which have worked so far in keeping the moth out. It was like finding treasure when we unzipped the bags with them in.

I’m thinking about how I keep them safe until I’m ready to do something with them. I’ve seen advice to freeze things for 3 days, and I’ve bought some of those plastic bags to use with a hoover. They’re currently taking up space in my sitting room. Which is fine, but not ideal for me.

Anyone have any advice/ experience?
Yes freezing kills the eggs and larvae (as does washing or streaming but thats no good for wool) and put them in the airtight bags asap - it's the only way. Sprays mothballs may work but are horrible. Lavender and cedar smell lovely but don't really work in preventing the blighters.

Be aware though that moth balls are deadly to cats, birds, and some other pet species! (Not just ingested, but the fumes from them)

So check before getting any.

I think your mother was probably on the right track with the lavender, it acts quite well as a deterrent.
I did not know that.

I did not know that.

Honestly I hate the thought that you might have ended up feeling bad about this - if you are not an animal person with a bit of a menagerie, there is no reason why you would know the risk to certain species of pets.

I just feel like I want to say it's OK to not know it if that makes sense?

Honestly I hate the thought that you might have ended up feeling bad about this - if you are not an animal person with a bit of a menagerie, there is no reason why you would know the risk to certain species of pets.

I just feel like I want to say it's OK to not know it if that makes sense?
You are over thinking. I don't feel bad in the slightest.

Yes freezing kills the eggs and larvae (as does washing or streaming but thats no good for wool) and put them in the airtight bags asap - it's the only way. Sprays mothballs may work but are horrible. Lavender and cedar smell lovely but don't really work in preventing the blighters.
Just wanted to say Thank you for a clear answer, I now have a plan of action. The first batch are in the freezer. I’ve been reading around the history and use of aromatics to repel moth, and peppermint is one of the suggestions. Luckily, as well as being rather a good maker, my mother also stockpiled her favourite foods, including peppermint tea. So I’ve thrown a few of her tea bags in with the things waiting to be frozen. One less thing to find a home for 😁

Just wanted to say Thank you for a clear answer, I now have a plan of action. The first batch are in the freezer. I’ve been reading around the history and use of aromatics to repel moth, and peppermint is one of the suggestions. Luckily, as well as being rather a good maker, my mother also stockpiled her favourite foods, including peppermint tea. So I’ve thrown a few of her tea bags in with the things waiting to be frozen. One less thing to find a home for 😁
Beware of putting peppermint tea bags in with wool if there is any moisture at all - and freezing brings out moisture, you might get colour from the tea staining the wool.

Back
Top Bottom