Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Closed terrarium’s

Back in the 80's my dad used to make stained glass ones. How the plants grew seemed quite a bit of chance. Some established closed system that would run nicely and others just didn't. I think there was a fair bit of luck to it. Sorry.

I had a large green glass one from the late 70s until approx 1993. It went the way of my giant swiss cheese plant - a fond farewell as a result of a house move. I enjoyed looking after them but it was time for me to move on.

good luck TopCat

I've not had much luck with them, either DIY or bought in.
I'm sure you've considered the options.
I understand that the choice of plants is very important ... and if the system is truly "closed" you will get condensation at various times.

I can bind up the plants with dissolving thread and push them down a pipe.

I’m thinking of a decent amount of garden compost too. Loads of bugs and stuff.

ordered some stuff to start.
I guess the plants will grow so you don't need to be trying to force huge stuff down the pipe.

Have you worked out a theme? I've recently got into aquascaping so I now have nano-cubes with rock 'monoliths', a jungle scape and a 'bonsai hillside'!

I'm enjoying this thread far more than I expected - those are beautiful Leafster
Thank you! I'm still learning how to create and maintain them. It's much harder than I thought!

I'm also struggling to take decent photos - I don't know how aquascapers do it. Well, I do but it involves lots of photographic equipment that I don't have. :(

Back
Top Bottom