Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Climate change bet is won early...

free spirit

more tea vicar?
Back in 2010 or so I offered this bet to Jonny Cannuck, Sasferato and any of the other posters at the time who were still repeating lines about climate change having ended in 1998 or similar climate change denying lines.

If any sceptics want to put their money where their mouth is, I'll bet £100 that the majority of years in the next decade (2011-2020) will be in the top 10 highest years on record, that the mean average temperature for the decade will be higher than the average mean average temperature for 2001-2010 (which is currently the decade with the highest average temperature on record), and that there will be at least 1 year that has a significantly higher average global temperature than the current record. I'll take a bet either on an accumulator basis, or each of the 3 bet's individually. All measurements are based on average land and sea global surface temperatures. Anyone?

With 2 years left to run on this, I'm sad to report that I've basically won this bet - at least I would have done if any of the climate change sceptic posters had been willing to put their money where their mouth had been.

2013, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 are all in the 10 hottest years on record. 1998 is now only the 10th hottest year on record, and it seems pretty much inconceivable that this decade won't have a higher average temperature than all previous decades.

2019GlobalTemps_Bars_F_en_title_lg.jpg

Did they take you up on the bet?
Unfortunately not, but they did start going a lot quieter on the subject shortly afterwards.

It would be good to see a mea culpa from them all though, given that they played their part* in delaying the action that should have been taken 10-15 years ago that would have meant we were well on our way to solving the problem by now.

*along with thousands of others across the internet

Back
Top Bottom