Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cleaning empty fish tank

Seems good advice, and sponge with nothing impregnated in it should be ok, brand new obviously

How dirty is the tank? Or is it just to decontaminate it before setting up a new tank?

They will just mean normal white vinegar, I have seen it recommend for cleaning lots of stuff over the years.

The approved scrubbing pads is a slight gimmick imo. The scrubbing pads you get from a pet shop are slightly less abrasive and gritty so less likely to leave bits in your tank after use. However, I have only ever used 10 for a quid Poundland sponge scourers and they have been fine. You really dont need much force when cleaning with them. But be careful as it doesn't take a lot to scratch the glass.

Buckets - Must have! For water changes, cleaning, temporary fish storage etc. I have a couple of 99p buckets from B&M that do the job. If you have a big tank thank bigger buckets are easier.

I have always found good soak in warm soapy water then rinse will do the trick for cleaning a tank ( I base that on having cleaned 3 :)). All your ornaments, wood, fake plants and filter attachments can get a quick boil in water if you really want to decontaminate them.

Any other fishy related questions just ask :thumbs:

I was thinking of replacing a filter in my pond's pump with scourers from a supermarket but apparently, as I discovered before I tried it, some scourers are impregnated with something which kills fish!

Im not sure if the sponges are the same in aquarium filters as pond ones but I know a lot of people buy big pieces off ebay and cut to size as needed.

You can also get those magnetic cleaning things, more suited to when in use I suppose?

How dirty is the tank? Or is it just to decontaminate it before setting up a new tank?

They will just mean normal white vinegar, I have seen it recommend for cleaning lots of stuff over the years.

The approved scrubbing pads is a slight gimmick imo. The scrubbing pads you get from a pet shop are slightly less abrasive and gritty so less likely to leave bits in your tank after use. However, I have only ever used 10 for a quid Poundland sponge scourers and they have been fine. You really dont need much force when cleaning with them. But be careful as it doesn't take a lot to scratch the glass.

Buckets - Must have! For water changes, cleaning, temporary fish storage etc. I have a couple of 99p buckets from B&M that do the job. If you have a big tank thank bigger buckets are easier.

I have always found good soak in warm soapy water then rinse will do the trick for cleaning a tank ( I base that on having cleaned 3 :)). All your ornaments, wood, fake plants and filter attachments can get a quick boil in water if you really want to decontaminate them.

Any other fishy related questions just ask :thumbs:
Thanks v much!

This tank has been sat about with tide marks of hard water and the gravel in an inch of wet >.< Just want to spruce it up all shiny and clean for potential occupants :) I have experience in keeping shubunkins so happy to go forward, it's just the initial scrub up I want to do right. I need a new bucket :D

Oh maybe salt is ok? I thought it might be residue-y and potentially make the water salty for sea fish not rivers fish. Where do shibumkins live in the wild??

Oh maybe salt is ok? I thought it might be residue-y and potentially make the water salty for sea fish not rivers fish. Where do shibumkins live in the wild??
Shibumkins :(

Shubunkins aren't indigenous to anywhere really - they were created by a Japanese dude (?) :D But they are freshwater fish, yes. Tabby goldfish :cool:

Back
Top Bottom