Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

clapton fc?

rutabowa

LOSE IT
I am definitely going to start attending non league football as it was the best afternoon. my local team should be Clapton really but there appear to be 2 teams, some kind of drama, and neither play anywhere near clapton. should I stick to Walthamstow FC? it seemed a good vibe, easy to get to, lively but family and nice players I got to hi 5 at the end.

Go to Clapton Community FC - the fans' club - not Clapton FC.
Clapton FC is the hollowed out husk of the former Isthmian League club .
It's Clapton Community FC that are returning to the Old Spotted Dog ground (their women's team already does play some matches there) and by next season the men's team may have been promoted to the Spartan South Midland League too!

I'd go & see a Clapton club if it was nearby, such a pity that Leyton FC collapsed a few years ago . The ground is still there (just off Lea Bridge Road) , would be great if another Club , maybe a Clapton club took on the ground.

I do go & see Enfield Town a couple of times a season, a workmate is involved with the club. Easy to get to from Rectory Rd Station.

I am definitely going to start attending non league football as it was the best afternoon. my local team should be Clapton really but there appear to be 2 teams, some kind of drama, and neither play anywhere near clapton. should I stick to Walthamstow FC? it seemed a good vibe, easy to get to, lively but family and nice players I got to hi 5 at the end.
Go wherever is closest to your doorstep imo, most likely then to get there more often. Football a massive time sink, I wish I had the time to spare

What's all this Clapton split stuff, I missed the no doubt massive drama
It happened about 5 years ago. As far as I could tell, the original club was entirely in the grip of the owner, who seemed happy to accept the match day takings from crowds of 500 but not to allow anyone else a say in the direction of the club. I can't remember exactly what the catalyst was but from memory there was a mass boycott of home games halfway through a season, followed by the formation of a splinter club Clapton Community FC the following summer. The original club lost the lease of the historic Old Spotted Dog ground and ended up playing at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow, while the new club joined the Middlesex League and set up home on one of the outer pitches at Wadham Lodge, where Walthamstow play. The new club secured the lease for the Old Spotted Dog but I think they're still in the process of bringing it back to the required standard after several years of disuse. They're currently top of their league, while the original club is likely to be relegated from the Essex League, which I think might see them at the same level in the same division next season.

It happened about 5 years ago. As far as I could tell, the original club was entirely in the grip of the owner, who seemed happy to accept the match day takings from crowds of 500 but not to allow anyone else a say in the direction of the club. I can't remember exactly what the catalyst was but from memory there was a mass boycott of home games halfway through a season, followed by the formation of a splinter club Clapton Community FC the following summer. The original club lost the lease of the historic Old Spotted Dog ground and ended up playing at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow, while the new club joined the Middlesex League and set up home on one of the outer pitches at Wadham Lodge, where Walthamstow play. The new club secured the lease for the Old Spotted Dog but I think they're still in the process of bringing it back to the required standard after several years of disuse. They're currently top of their league, while the original club is likely to be relegated from the Essex League, which I think might see them at the same level in the same division next season.
CCFC have been playing at Walthamstow's ground this season - on 3 different pitches - plus the show pitch at Hackney Marshes. A lot of paint will be needed by the March deadline to get The Old Spotted Dog ship-shape. And, yes, I hadn't realised about the potential grudge fixtures vs McBean's "other" Clapton!

CCFC have been playing at Walthamstow's ground this season - on 3 different pitches - plus the show pitch at Hackney Marshes. A lot of paint will be needed by the March deadline to get The Old Spotted Dog ship-shape. And, yes, I hadn't realised about the potential grudge fixtures vs McBean's "other" Clapton!
Played on the OSD ground in a preseason friendly against their Women’s First Team. The pitch was a bit of a nightmare back then but I’ve heard the volunteers put a lot of hard work into getting it up to standard. I’d actually tried to hop a few games there in my younger days but had never been lucky with every game there postponed or cancelled (PSFs for the pedants!). Weird that after call those attempts my first trip there should be at the age of 57 as a player!

people who have gone to clapton have told me they heard songs about hamlet fans being tories or something like that
Bizarre considering we've only ever played their club at women's reserve team level. I reckon this bloke would fit in well down there:

20230221_032202.jpg

Played on the OSD ground in a preseason friendly against their Women’s First Team. The pitch was a bit of a nightmare back then but I’ve heard the volunteers put a lot of hard work into getting it up to standard. I’d actually tried to hop a few games there in my younger days but had never been lucky with every game there postponed or cancelled (PSFs for the pedants!). Weird that after call those attempts my first trip there should be at the age of 57 as a player!

Pre season challenge matches. ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom