Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff to Coryton branch line in the 1960s and 1980s - archive photos

editor

hiraethified
These are cracking images of a line I used to regularly travel on:

cardiff-heath-birchgrove-rhiwbina-whitchurch-coryton-12.jpg

cardiff-heath-birchgrove-rhiwbina-whitchurch-coryton-06.jpg

cardiff-heath-birchgrove-rhiwbina-whitchurch-coryton-09.jpg

Railway archive photos – the Cardiff to Coryton branch line in the 1960s and 1980s

These are cracking images of a line I used to regularly travel on:

cardiff-heath-birchgrove-rhiwbina-whitchurch-coryton-12.jpg

cardiff-heath-birchgrove-rhiwbina-whitchurch-coryton-06.jpg

cardiff-heath-birchgrove-rhiwbina-whitchurch-coryton-09.jpg

Railway archive photos – the Cardiff to Coryton branch line in the 1960s and 1980s
I look at those tangled webs of lines up through the Valleys, and can't really begin to imagine just how comprehensive the rail networks back then were - looking at where the line went on after Coryton, it's into a spaghetti tangle of lines all over the place. It probably HAD to be rationalised, but it was pretty impressive...

800px-Cardiffrly.png

I look at those tangled webs of lines up through the Valleys, and can't really begin to imagine just how comprehensive the rail networks back then were - looking at where the line went on after Coryton, it's into a spaghetti tangle of lines all over the place. It probably HAD to be rationalised, but it was pretty impressive...

View attachment 195380
There used to be tiny little mining villages with three different stations in some parts of the valleys!

Remember when I first saw an old UK rail map (or maybe it was just a GWR map), lines coloured red - the whole valleys area was basically a big red patch until you looked at the zoomed-in inset for the area..

Pretty much all built for coal (presumably)..

Back
Top Bottom