Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cancelled train, can you use booked ticket on another train?

chainsawjob

Kipping in the dunes
My friend is coming from Greece to Glastonbury next week on Wednesday (not a strike day).

He's arriving at Heathrow, and then into London and out from Paddington, and was booked on a 14.36 train, which is now showing as cancelled.

He's asked The Trainline (where he bought the tickets), and GWR whether he can just hop on the next train, but not got any useful answers.

It's all a bit stressy for him as he has to be at the festival in time to collect his international (festival) ticket from the box office before it closes for the night, otherwise he's spending the night outside the festival.

Can he just hop on the next train? Anyone know? I'd imagine yes, but don't know much about these things. And he knows even less! Any reassurance/info would be appreciated.

This isn't terribly helpful but I'd imagine they'd be fairly accommodating in the circs, if there are no 'special arrangements' in effect:

clear.gif
Industrial Action 21, 23 and 25 June (1)​

• If the train you purchased a ticket for is cancelled or is delayed and you still decide to travel, special arrangements will be made to accommodate you on another train (although a seat cannot be guaranteed).

Thanks everyone, I'll pass this info onto him.

I agree I think the problem will be fighting his way onto an overpacked train, more than them (GWR) being worried about what ticket he's got.

He's wondered about cancelling the train ticket and getting a coach from Heathrow instead. Not sure about that, longer journey I think. But I think it leaves him still needing to get a train back on the Monday, no coach available. Tricky choices.

Tell him to get on whatever train he can and if challenged he can be the foreigner who doesn’t know what the fuck is going on and has to rely on the mercy of the nice English train conductor. It’s going to be so much chaos I can’t imagine even the most Bungle-level jobsworth would be willing to deal with a Greek man with the wrong ticket for the train going to the right destination.

Failing that, something something it’s all Greek to me etc.

Last edited:
I had a cancelled train yesterday and was able to get on different trains (same route) but I did go to another station and the ticket office gave me a special stamped ticket as evidence of cancelled train #1.

Back
Top Bottom