Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can you only get a domain email from same company you got the domain?

trevhagl

Famous author , company CEO
Trying to join another mailing list provider for bulk email, had 2 now refuse as my site doesn't have a domain email. I have been told if i point my Godaddy account (where i have my webstore domain) to a domain email it will knock out my webstore . Any way round this?

Not used those services so don't know how they work. But in general when you buy a domain, as well as using it to point to your www, webserver, you can add mx (mail server records) to it. The mailserver can be any where but you need to point to it's IP address from your domain registrar.

Running your own mailserver is a pain so you probably do want to use a hosted service for that.

This is what GoDaddy say about setting up the domain records.

thanks , in the end i found 2 companies that didn't demand that, sounds like a lot of potential for chaos if i tried to follow that

You can have an email address on a domain name with the email managed by someone else. Decent providers make this reasonably easy to follow but the steps aren't particularly simple if you don't know a a lot about what you're doing. The exact steps will vary slightly depending on the provider's at either end too.

I use Namecheap and Proton fwiw.

Trying to join another mailing list provider for bulk email, had 2 now refuse as my site doesn't have a domain email. I have been told if i point my Godaddy account (where i have my webstore domain) to a domain email it will knock out my webstore . Any way round this?
I'm fairly sure this is bollocks. Unless Godaddy is shit. Which it might be.

Back
Top Bottom