Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

CAMOUFLAGE Y-FRONTS BLOKE LIT: The Rollicking Tales of Tiny, Taff, Jock, Dave, Big Dave, John, Johnny, Jon, Andy, Chris & C**tface

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
You know the sort of thing, blew up big after Steven Billy ‘Andy McNab’ Mitchell scored a bestseller with Bravo Two Zero, his memoir about how he, uh, ballsed up a Special Forces mission, took on (or didn't take on) half the Iraqi army, but definitely 100% did manage to get a third of his team killed and most of them captured. Then the only one who didn't die or get (Mc)nabbed, Colin ‘Chris Ryan’ Armstrong, wrote his own version: The One That Got Away. A few years later, one of the ones who didn't get away but didn't die, ‘Mike Coburn’ (AKA ‘Mark the Kiwi’), turned in his own version of the failed patrol, Soldier Five. By this point we can confidently say that more trees died than Iraqi soldiers in the whole farrago.

Anyway, these sorts of books are often military-themed (usually with a Special Forces bent, because for some reason there doesn't seem to be much demand for unputdownable tomes of derring-do in the Royal Logistics Corps), but also encompass things like football hooliganism and (for some reason) undercover policing. If it's published by Mainstream, John Blake or CreateSpace and has a cover featuring a paunchy bloke staring straight at you like an over-pubdusted middle-aged guy cosplaying Don McCullin's GI in the mirror of the Gents at their local 'Spoons, it's probably going to count.

GBN pundit and reality TV's favourite embodiment of dad having a midlife crisis after an unexpected divorce Peter ‘Blex’ Bleksley, did a quite good one, The Gangbuster. In it he described what it was like going undercover amongst drugs gangs in the 90s whilst working in the Met Police's SO10 unit.

Then there's Running With The Firm by James Bannon, an account by a copper whose undercover work amongst Millwall's hooligan firms was turned into the film I.D.

Neil Woods produced a thoughtful book about his time doing pointless-yet-terrifying small-time drug deals in Good Cop, Bad War, and subsequently spoke out against dogmatic prohibitionism, in favour of better supporting those caught up in cycles of addiction, and calling for society to confront the conditions that can lead to those cycles.

Of course, some of them - be they about soldiers, spies, cops or thugs - are utter bilge. Of note is One Blood by Chris Penhaligon (reviewed here), an ex-squaddie who goes into private security and somehow ends up infiltrating Greenpeace on behalf of corporate bastards. He really thinks he's the good guy throughout it all (though ‘thinks’ is definitely overstating it). Confusingly the story is replicated in True Lies by Ross Slater, another squaddie who goes into private security and somehow ends up infiltrating Greenpeace on behalf of corporate bastards, with near-identical anecdotes passed off as his own. It's enough to make you think that sometimes they just make it all up...

And so we come to Black Ops by Carlton King. This busy lad managed to pack a lot in - he starts out as a mobile DJ spinning disco and new wave in northern England in the 70s, before compering for the likes of Jimmy Savile, Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson. Then he moves to West Germany, gets a gig playing to American soldiers, is hired as a store detective, joins a private investigations agency, is trained by an ex-FBI agent, is arrested by the Stasi in East Berlin, returns to England, joins the Met, is in a riot squad during Broadwater Farm, is recruited into Special Branch, becomes a firearms-trained close protection officer, then is recruited into the secretive undercover Special Demonstration Squad, infiltrates the SWP and Anti-Nazi League, foils an imaginary plot to burn down the BNP bookshop in Welling, leaves the SDS, joins the other spycop unit NPOIU, leaves NPOIU and is seconded to MI6, travels the world's dangerous hotspots as a maverick gun-toting (as he puts it) black James Bond, then returns to Special Branch, and runs security for various big cheeses, top nobs and VIPs including John Major, Tony Blair, Bill Clinton, William Hague, Zhao Ziyang and, err, Des Brown. Phew! What a busy and productive life! I wonder what he's up to these days?
Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.54.04.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.54.14.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.54.34.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.54.50.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.55.02.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.55.24.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.56.49.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.57.44.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.58.33.pngScreenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.58.57.png

So, any particular examples of the genre you'd like to share?

Last edited:
I think there would be mileage in kebabking getting together with a ghost writer to spruce up his war hero tale of misreading the weight of a bridge on Google maps and thereby nearly losing an entire tank battalion.

It's was a regiment of self-propelled guns, actually - there's a healthy, and not at all socially challenged nerdfest discussion of the differences between Tanks, IFV's, APC's, and SPG's (as well all the other stuff like recovery wagons, engineering cans, command vehicles, tank destroyers, reconnaissance skateboards etc..) on this thread Tanks for the Memories

Oddly, the whole 'coming within a gnats bollock of causing the loss of an entire regiment' thing hasn't followed my career in the same way that the 'making a £5m prototype radar fly into the sea' thing has. Fortunately I'm middle class, so none of it was considered relevant to whether I should be promoted - so that's ok....

Oddly, the whole 'coming within a gnats bollock of causing the loss of an entire regiment' thing hasn't followed my career in the same way that the 'making a £5m prototype radar fly into the sea' thing has.

With a decent comms strategy behind you, what you have there is a project that has adjacentised into an agile next-generation sonar concept :cool:

With a decent comms strategy behind you, what you have there is a project that has adjacentised into an agile next-generation sonar concept :cool:

It's all about jointery and common platforms these days - the haters are going to be eating humble pie before this next defence review is finished...

Last edited:
Undercovercopper Lit:
  • Crossing The Line by Christian Plowman
  • Undercover by Pete Ashton
  • Undercover: Operation Julie - The Inside Story by Stephen Bentley
  • Operation George by Stephen Bentley with Mark Dickens
Embitteredcopper Lit:
  • Stalker by John Stalker
    Not One Of Us by Ali Dizaei with Tim Phillips
  • Line Of Fire by Brian Paddick with Kris Hollington (a pal of Carlton King)
Triggerfingercopper Lit:
  • Lethal Force by Tony Long
  • Firearms And Fatals by Harry Tangye
  • Stop! Armed Police!: Inside The Met's Firearms Unit by Stephen Smith
Terrorterrorterrorcopper Lit:
  • Terror Cops by Harry Keeble with Kris Hollington (did I mention he was a pal of Carlton King?)
  • The Terrorist Hunters by Andy Hayman with Margaret Gilmore
Topcopper Lit:
  • In The Office Of Constable by Robert Mark
  • Not For The Faint Hearted by John Stevens
  • Policing Controversy by Ian Blair
Justanacademicnowcopper Lit:
  • Special Branch: A History: 1883-2006 by Ray Wilson and Ian Adams
  • Countering Al Qaeda In London by by Robert Lambert
  • Policing And The Legacy Of Lawrence edited by John Grieve et al

I’ve always wished there were more firefighter memoirs. I genuinely find the techniques of fire fighting, and rescue fascinating.

And books on how many kitchens someone fitted in their rest days, great volleyball matches and how to get back to sleep when the colocated ambulance crew get tipped out for the seventh time since midnight would be great reading.

I’ve always wished there were more firefighter memoirs. I genuinely find the techniques of fire fighting, and rescue fascinating.

And books on how many kitchens someone fitted in their rest days, great volleyball matches and how to get back to sleep when the colocated ambulance crew get tipped out for the seventh time since midnight would be great reading.

Suggested titles:
  • Anything Goes When It Comes To Hose
  • Always Retained But Never Reserved
  • The Science Of Appliance

Norn Iron Spooks, Cops, Touts & Soldiers Lit:
  • Military Reaction Force (MRF)
    • MRF Shadow Troop by Simon Cursey
  • Force Reaction Unit (FRU)
    • Stakeknife: Britain's Secret Agents In Ireland by ‘Martin Ingram’ (Ian Hurst) with Greg Harkin
    • Fishers of Men by ‘Rob Lewis’ (Philip Campbell Smith)
    • The Deadly Game by ‘Will Britten’
  • Security Service
    • Double Agent: My Secret Life Undercover In The IRA by ‘Kevin Fulton’ (Peter Keeley)
  • RUC Special Branch
    • Fifty Dead Men Walking by Martin McGartland
  • Army Intelligence
    • War Without Honour: True Story Of Military Intelligence In Northern Ireland by Fred Holroyd with Nick Burbridge
  • 14 Intelligence Company
    • The Operators by James Rennie
    • She Who Dared: Covert Operations in Northern Ireland With The SAS by ‘Jackie George’ with Susan Ottaway
    • One Up: A Woman In Action With The SAS by ‘Sarah Ford’ with Jane Warren

Spookysecretsharerslashchinnyreckon Lit:
  • Spies, Lies And Whistleblowers: MI5, MI6 And The Shayler Affair by Annie Machon
  • Defending The Realm: MI5 And The Shayler Affair by Mark Hollingsworth & Nick Fielding
  • The Big Breach by Richard Tomlinson
  • Spycatcher by Peter Wright with Paul Greengrass

Last edited:
Norn Iron Spooks, Cops, Touts & Soldiers Lit:
  • Military Reaction Force (MRF)
    • MRF Shadow Troop by Simon Cursey
  • Force Reaction Unit (FRU)
    • Stakeknife: Britain's Secret Agents In Ireland by ‘Martin Ingram’ (Ian Hurst) with Greg Harkin
    • Fishers of Men by ‘Rob Lewis’ (Philip Campbell Smith)
    • The Deadly Game by ‘Will Britten’
  • Security Service
    • Double Agent: My Secret Life Undercover In The IRA by ‘Kevin Fulton’ (Peter Keeley)
  • RUC Special Branch
    • Fifty Dead Men Walking by Martin McGartland
  • Army Intelligence
    • War Without Honour: True Story Of Military Intelligence In Northern Ireland by Fred Holroyd with Nick Burbridge
  • 14 Intelligence Company
    • The Operators by James Rennie
    • She Who Dared: Covert Operations in Northern Ireland With The SAS by ‘Jackie George’ with Susan Ottaway
    • One Up: A Woman In Action With The SAS by ‘Sarah Ford’ with Jane Warren
I shared a tent with a mate for six months up a mountain in Kosovo, he had volunteered for special duties (there was a regular notice on everyone’s payslips)
He’d applied and was booked to go for the selection and was prepping like fuck. Our homemade bookshelf was full of books on the troubles, NI history and a variety of the above.

I used to have to quiz him and do memory games with him. A very sharp bloke

He arrived at the selection day one in Aldershit and apparently his father in law to be was running the show and he was quietly shown the door.

He’s a medical Doctor now rather than a cut and thrust in the shadows operator, I think it’s his biggest annoyance, other than his partner who he eventually left.

I shared a tent with a mate for six months up a mountain in Kosovo, he had volunteered for special duties (there was a regular notice on everyone’s payslips)
He’d applied and was booked to go for the selection and was prepping like fuck. Our homemade bookshelf was full of books on the troubles, NI history and a variety of the above.

I used to have to quiz him and do memory games with him. A very sharp bloke

He arrived at the selection day one in Aldershit and apparently his father in law to be was running the show and he was quietly shown the door.

He’s a medical Doctor now rather than a cut and thrust in the shadows operator, I think it’s his biggest annoyance, other than his partner who he eventually left.
Better a dash of middle-age annoyance, than lifelong noggin full of hair-trigger PTSD

Eoin McNamee's novel The Ultras seems to be only thinly fictionalised.

Last edited:
had an interview for special duties once got voluntold to report to this isolated hut on the Garrison.
1st question do you know why your here? No idea
turns out someone who left 14 int under a cloud was asked asked to to put together a list of possible potentials being still a tad bitter did so of the most unsuitabe :facepalm:
got labelled the least useless as I asked if they wanted any cold drinks :D

Back
Top Bottom