Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Camberwell's well found!!

boohoo

No.
How exciting! I read somewhere else that there was some other man made wells in the area. R Whites lemonade was made in Camberwell but using artesian wells (wells sunk far enough into the ground to reach deep chalk layer and clean water)

anyway, here's the article...

Newspaper article

And here's some more stuff on it...

Original research

Not sure where I found this but this is info about where the stock wells are...

On Stockwell Green there used to be a public well at the south-west corner (ref. 25) and there are still two wells on the site of Stockwell Congregational Church and two on the site of Hammerton's Brewery. The Barrett family's house in Stockwell Road opposite the Green was supplied with “remarkable fine water” from a spring nearby. (ref. 61)

The congregational church is now the little mosque. It's claim to fame is it was where William Booth got married. The land at the back is all empty so I imagine the wells wouldn't be hard to find.

All these wells make me think of the Only fools and horse's episode with the Peckham Spring water - not such a far fetched idea really!!!

map.jpg

I love this maps - gives a real sense of the marsh lands that lambeth was and the obvious places for settlements. Thorney Island (Westminster abbey)really stands out

It's a fantastic map. Look at farringdon road threading itself up the valley! And Wandsworth road following the contour! And the nodes on the hills on the south side of the river that attracted settlement and thence the bridges! great stuff :)

map.jpg

I love this maps - gives a real sense of the marsh lands that lambeth was and the obvious places for settlements. Thorney Island (Westminster abbey)really stands out

Except that this contour map doesn't actually show Thorney Island - are you confusing Westminster Abbey (consecrated 1065 AD) and Westminster Cathedral (consecrated 1910) :confused:

And now you can go visit! Open day!

Sunday 26th September 1pm to 4pm at 56a Grove Park, off Camberwell Grove, Camberwell SE5.

It's a fantastic map. Look at farringdon road threading itself up the valley! And Wandsworth road following the contour! And the nodes on the hills on the south side of the river that attracted settlement and thence the bridges! great stuff :)

the valley wouldve been the fleet i reckon.
good spot on the nodes and the bridges - i often wondered why london bridge and blackfriars were the first to be built.
anyone got a relief map for the whole of london?
funnilny enough in the last couple of weeks ive been on a tour of the highpoints of london - muswell hill and ally pally in the north, and forest hill and a great spot next to nunhead cemetry in the south - its really nice to be get a lay of the land...

re: finding camberwell, i think ladywell is in someone back garden too. theres a plaque on one of the houses

Back
Top Bottom