Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Camberwell nearly had a tube station!

editor

hiraethified
So close! That would have been a really handy link too.
Powers were obtained for the Bakerloo line extension to Camberwell in the 1930s. It is said that when the siding tunnels south of Elephant & Castle were reconstructed as part of the programme to lengthen trains from 6 to 7 cars, there were re-positioned on the Camberwell alignment. However no other work was carried out.

After World War II the project was revived, and the extension appeared on Underground maps. One of which can be found here, said to be from 1949.

Also, the order for 1949 rolling stock - built to augment the 1938 stock fleet - included sufficient cars to provide extra trains for the Camberwell extension.
http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/2008/11/brief-history-of-camberwell-bakerloo.html

318520436_46a3cfb8cd_b.jpg

What a shame.

Camberwell needs a better transport system. Elephant to Brixton's a nightmare on a bus

oh, I see Trinity Road is there. I remember years ago seeing the Trinity Road sign still on the platform and being totally confused

I have a book about Mr Becks tube maps and it includes quite a few that never came about. There are even some for the 2000s that obviouly never came about. Interesting stuff.

Yes from time to time the Camberwell tube plan gets dusted down to taunt us SE5 people - see http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/104 which seems to suggest that TfL's long term plans might be to include the tube for Camberwell either on the Bakerloo or Northern lines. It will be around 2025 at the earliest I think unless Boris gets a sudden enthusiasm for the scheme

The reopening of Camberwell overground station would seem to be a less costly option - all they would have to do is put in some new platforms and ticket office and then get the trains to stop then Camberwell Station Road could live up to its name once again.

There's something about these "might have beens" (not to mention the "how it was"es!) that has fascinated me ever since I was a kid. I struggle not to let my jaundiced ever-practical grown-up mind kill off those fascinations still, and stuff like this is great.

I'm sure I remember the old-fashioned ALL-CAPS Tube maps from when I was younger, and it's still intriguing to see the big enamelled maps on tube stations with bits painted over or covered up. In fact, I'm sure one of the Bakerloo Line platforms at Waterloo has something covered over, which could possibly even be that extension beyond E&C. I'll have to look more carefully next time I'm up there...

Not likely to happen any time soon, but reopening the train station should be a no-brainer once they've got the longer Thameslink trains running.

(((Alexandra Palace tube line)))
The 1949 map shows this to be "proposed". The line itself was a surface line which I understood to have been closed in the 1930s(?) when its main raison d'etre, the racecourse at Ally Pally, closed.

It would never have been a tube line, even if the proposal to re-open it had gone ahead.

Trafalgar Square station isn't that long gone. In fact, it's not gone at all. They just messed about with the names. It's now called Charing Cross and the former Charing Cross is now called Embankment. Made more sense (for once!)

It would have been a 'tube' line inasmuch that it would have been connected into the North City Line, which currently runs in tunnels from Moorgate to Finsbury Park. These days, trains merge onto the East Coast Mainline at Finsbury park.

300px-Northern_Heights_Map_Mockup.png

In theory, the line could still be built, but the linear park along its trackbed is now well established.

I could have told you that, some bloke on a bus told me. There was nearly a tube in Streatham too :(

(((Camberwell)))

Would have been great...I used to live in Camberwell and always had to get off the Bakerloo line at Elephant and wait for a bus...

After the First World War there was a plan to extend the Northern Line as far as Sutton, but it got nixed after negotiations with Southern Railway meant it terminated at Morden. SR subsequently built the line through West Sutton and Sutton Common on pretty much the same route.

I'm glad it hasn't got a tube to be honest. I really like Camberwell and it would be just like any old Balham Tooting Clapham South dull town if it had a tube. Maybe.

Yeah, the line from Finsbury Park to High Barnet and Edgware (via Mill Hill East) used to be a surface train line from Kings Cross (I believe). The plan was to convert it to an Underground line as part of the Northern Line. Then the war can came and in the end only part of the line was completed. The parts from Mill Hill East to Edgware, and from Finsbury Park to Highgate and Alexandra Palace were abandened and are how a parkland walk. If you look carefully along the edge of the park you can see the concrete posts that were installed in readiness for carrying the cables for the Northern Line. Also at Highgate you can see the remains of the new surface station that was built but never used (the parkland walk stops at a sealed up tunnel, the station remains are at the other end of the tunnel).

Back
Top Bottom