Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Bullied' plant wilts as praised plant flourishes. Apparently.

That plant that was bullied looked just like the plants in Tintin that the professor poured his yucky cola into :)

I'm sure I've seen another similar thing to this where they froze water that has been "insulted" and it formed jagged crystals, but the water that was "complimented" grew nice shaped crytals...

All absolute bollocks, of course.

My wife has a massive pot with rosemary in it, I hate the fucking thing as it's in my way to the shed. I curse it every time I walk around it - sadly it's thriving.

Well, the Russians have been doing this sort of thing for decades. Does anyone recall Lyall Watson's 'Supernature'? So, fact from fantasy. It is entirely true that plants are sensitive to all sorts of environmental triggers (light, gravity, touch)...and there have been demonstrable and replicated studies which show seedlings which are stroked (around 30 strokes) do much better than those which are left alone. This is because they are responding to the touch - thigmatropism - and will direct cellular growth to thicken the stems. Wind, grazing animals will also do this. If you say 'nice plant- look at you in your lovely green life' as you do it, it will not have much effect...but the extra blast of carbon dioxide from your exhalation just might.
Recent research has shown that plants are far from solitary organisms but exist in a network of interlinked soil micro-organisms (such as mycorrhizae)...trees can, for example, isolate an ailing limb by cutting off nutrient supply (leading to loss) or, can deliver nutrient packages to an ailing tree in the same affiliated group.
In brief, the natural world is stranger and more complex than we might have initially imagined...but this can also offer up a template for all sorts of woo.

Back
Top Bottom