Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Building material supply etiquette

danski

"vibey"
We are finally having some stuff done to the house after covid/supply issues.

The builder was to supply all materials but ultimately had trouble getting the cladding we wanted. I finally managed to get it myself via a work contact for (I believe) a better price than my builder could have, albeit at a larger quantity than required as only bulk orders of this particular product were available (am selling remainder to a mate at cost).

The initial quote with cladding price should now just be for labour with me supplying the materials.

What I am worried about is now there is a bigger pile of gear for them to use, they might not be as careful as they might had they only ordered what was needed. Obviously this is down to trust but I was wondering if there was a way I could incentivise them to use less/what's needed by supplying them at cost...but then I suppose I would have to pay that back on the final bill which is pointless faff and shows distrust and pretty silly.

Dunno. Any ideas?

Put it in two piles and say you’ve already sold one pile to someone else, and cover it with a tarp.
Yeah, had crossed my mind but haven't really got the space unfortunately. Also, after moving the whole 1.8 tons of it when it arrived, I don't fancy doing any more lifting!

I'll just tell them my mate is buying the remainder and any above the quoted quantity left is a bonus.

Last edited:
Tell the contractor that he'll only get the full amount for the job if x quantity of the cladding is left for you to sell. Any used over the expected amount will be deducted from the final payment. As there is far more cladding than the job requires and it is being supplied by you.

This should be ok for everyone as long as it is within reason (allowing for a bit of wasteage due to trimming etc), but it might be a good idea to store some of it indoors or locked up in a garage or shed in case.

Sorry just read your latest post as I was typing this, would hiring a storage unit for a couple of weeks for the excess materials be worth the money if it was expensive to buy?

I'm not so worried about your contractors either, more someone coming round with a van in the middle of the night and taking the lot (which would cause a lot of hassle between you and the contractor also).

Think I'll just try to be casual about it as I don't want to get their backs up.
It's stored safely overnight but once they start, they will be responsible to keep it that way.

I hope this cladding is nice danski and that you aren't committing some sort of decorative faux pas that will make your house undesirable for the next 100 years, or cause some sort of Health & Safety issue!

I kind of want to see the cladding now :D

Reactions: tim
I hope this cladding is nice danski and that you aren't committing some sort of decorative faux pas that will make your house undesirable for the next 100 years, or cause some sort of Health & Safety issue!

I kind of want to see the cladding now :D

url

Fucking hell mate, "hopefully" is not a word I would want to hear in conjuntion with major works to my gaff, iykwim.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
We've done as much as we can regarding photos, samples and digital mock-ups but you an never be truly certain.

Back
Top Bottom