Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Budget Desktop PC?

chilango

Hypothetical Wanker
Have to give my work laptop back soon, so will need to replace it.

I could pick up a Chromebook (or Windows laptop so I can use stuff like nvivo and SPSS?) that will suit my modesr needs (web, office, teams) but it'd be nice to a) have a bigger screen and b) have separate keyboard and monitor for optimum comfort.

Budget is sub £200. Anything worth looking at?

I'd say get a low power one if you can, budget in the cost of electricity over the lifetime, which has just gone up and is just as 'real' when you come to pay it.

Sorry, I'm no help apart from that.

Probably best to look on eBay (I just saw a refurb one) or local refurb shops near you? Not sure what specs you will need.

Start here but upgrade?

Gah sorry out of stock.

I'd definitely look refurnished at that price. I've got a 3rd gen i7 with SSD and 16gb which was plenty underbudget and is still a great machine.

Would you be comfortable fitting your own SSD if needed?

Probably best to look on eBay (I just saw a refurb one) or local refurb shops near you? Not sure what specs you will need.

I've bought a couple of refurbished computers from these people (i've no personal connection with them) - they are based near the old croydon airport, so if you're s london-ish then collecting may be an option.

You can always connect a laptop to a monitor anyway. Somebody might have an old monitor you can have or something.

yes - in my wfh-ing, i run work laptop with my normal keyboard / monitor / mouse, depends if you want the flexibility to take a laptop to other places when you feel like it.

yes - in my wfh-ing, i run work laptop with my normal keyboard / monitor / mouse, depends if you want the flexibility to take a laptop to other places when you feel like it.
Yeah me too, 30 quid dock off Amazon. Just plug it in

Yeah me too, 30 quid dock off Amazon. Just plug it in

doesn't necessarily need that - i can just plug stuff straight in to the laptop (depends how many USB ports the laptop has and how much you want to plug in, though)

previous employer did issue me with a docking station but not sure i needed it.

doesn't necessarily need that - i can just plug stuff straight in to the laptop (depends how many USB ports the laptop has and how much you want to plug in, though)

previous employer did issue me with a docking station but not sure i needed it.
Yeah, just makes it easier. I've got a mouse, monitor + wired Internet so few cables to keep taking out and putting back in.

I've gone for a sub£100 refurbished "all-in-one". Similar age and specs (and same brand - Lenovo) to the work laptop I'm giving back but with more memory and a bigger screen. Won't be earth shattering performance wise but comfortably ticks all my boxes. Just waiting on delivery now.

Didn't want any faffing with upgrading components myself (borked a work MacBook like that a few years back :D) so keeping things simple.

Back
Top Bottom