Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol pub for afternoon boozing

Hollis

bloody furious
Meeting a few old cronies for a Saturday afternoon in a couple weeks time. We're meeting at Temple Meads... ideally looking for a quietish boozer with decent ales, and not silly distance/travel from the station... any recommendations? (other than the pub at the station.. which is where we could end up.. :rolleyes: :facepalm:)

Never been to the first one but heard it's alright. I don't think this is the one near there with all union flags, which I have been to once and didn't seem dodgey but makes you wonder.

Both these about 5 - 10 minute walk from Temple Meeds.

The Cornubia
The Cornubia | Bars and pubs in Bristol

Seven Stars
https://7stars.co.uk/

Course there's a Spoons just behind the station and The Sidings over the road. Used to be the Wreckless Engineer. I can't vouch for their ale. Shakespeare on Victoria street, office workers in the week.

King St, which I think is sign posted as the Harbour Side. :rolleyes: about 15 - 20 minute walk has a few ale pubs. Royal Navel Volunteer, alright if a bit wanky / hipstery… Hopstery? Small Bar. King William, a Sam Smiths. Old Duke for probably blues on a sat afternoon. Not been there that time for yonks. Don't think much ale choice there though.

Oooh the Seven stars is a lush little boozer!

There has always been a nice friendly atmosphere there, baring in mind that I only ever go to the seven stars when I'm going to see a band at the fleece next door.

I can't comment on the ales as I'm a
cider/tequila/ cocktail drinker.

Last edited:
7 Stars and Cornubia are both proper old pubs. 7 Stars likely to have a slightly wider range of real ales.

Out the other side of Temple Meads in The Dings there's the Barley Mow, which is Camra pub of the year. Good pub, its cask beers not as interesting as other two, but stocks a range of (expensive) 'craft' beers.

Beyond the Barley Mow is the Moor Brewery Tap. Just Moor beers but interesting to visit.

Or head to Old Market. 5 mins from TM, lots of good pubs. Old Market Assembly does good food and has a very nice upstairs outdoor terrace. Other pubs and bars on Old Market also good. There's a new one that I haven't visited that's meant to be good. Can't remember the name.

Basically there are loads of good pubs round there. Would be a travesty to end up in the station bar.

xenon and big eejit have covered almost all the ground I would have done. But to reinforce :

7 Stars is our personal favourite when we get to Bristol, superb range of qualityh beers from good breweries always. The Cornubia, which we used to refer to as the 'The UKIP pub' what with all the flags, is nevertheless also pretty good for ale choices, and from memory isn't quite as bad flagwise as a few years ago -- plus the clientele seem mostly just normal beer appreciators anyway.

Not exactly sure how much time you and friends will have Hollis , but the Commercial Rooms, Corn Street, is a much better Spoons than the one right by Temple Meads, often busy though. Nearby to this, and more tucked away, you have The Bank Tavern, which is nice, and always has unusual (if limited) choices -- plus always two scrumpies.

The Barley Mow (easy walk from station) won Bristol CAMRA pub of the year for good reasons, we're big fans. I've even seen Wiper and True on handpump there (very rare), and The Moor Brewery round the corner from it often send a cask version of one of their beers to the BM. Arbor Brewery in Bristol now and again feature a guest there too -- it's a Bristol Beer Factory-owned pub, and BBF do great beers, but they invite in the local competition also! :)

xenon and big eejit have covered almost all the ground I would have done. But to reinforce :

7 Stars is our personal favourite when we get to Bristol, superb range of qualityh beers from good breweries always. The Cornubia, which we used to refer to as the 'The UKIP pub' what with all the flags, is nevertheless also pretty good for ale choices, and from memory isn't quite as bad flagwise as a few years ago -- plus the clientele seem mostly just normal beer appreciators anyway.

Not exactly sure how much time you and friends will have Hollis , but the Commercial Rooms, Corn Street, is a much better Spoons than the one right by Temple Meads, often busy though. Nearby to this, and more tucked away, you have The Bank Tavern, which is nice, and always has unusual (if limited) choices -- plus always two scrumpies.

The Barley Mow (easy walk from station) won Bristol CAMRA pub of the year for good reasons, we're big fans. I've even seen Wiper and True on handpump there (very rare), and The Moor Brewery round the corner from it often send a cask version of one of their beers to the BM. Arbor Brewery in Bristol now and again feature a guest there too -- it's a Bristol Beer Factory-owned pub, and BBF do great beers, but they invite in the local competition also! :)
Ah so I have been to the Cornubia. Yeah I think it even had Union Jack cushions on the benches. But it was fine.

Oh I stopped at a tap room thing in the dings the other day. Left handed giant. That was pretty good I am not exactly a seasoned ale drinker, but I liked the couple of IPAs I tried. just up from temple needs. I can’t really describe it very well. Someone can point out on a map.

The Apple down opposite King Street if you like cider. Lots of space outside and you can booze on the boat as well.

I like the King William Ale House (Samuel Smiths pub) on King Street but most places there are decent aside from the King Street Brewery which is a wanky rip off load of shit that serves in plastic glasses. Good pizza and pints at Renato's in front too - open til 2am, top place.

Down towards Castle Park nearer Temple Meads I like the Bridge Inn. Small but a few tables outside and it's friendly too. Some great beer on tap. Very near the station if you go out the back way past the Knights templar Weatherspoons then head sharp left following the river until you get to the second bridge. Excellent short cut in fact, generally - you can be in town in 10-15 mins with minimal traffic fumes.

Last edited:
I went to the Avon Packet with a mate the other week for a late Friday afternoon drink : two pints for under £7, filled rolls wrapped in cling film on the bar, proper working class locals vibe very far from the North Street hipster scene a few roads away, quite a nice garden but it smelt of the curry house next door.

Landlord was smoking behind the bar which was erm a bit novel

I went to the Avon Packet with a mate the other week for a late Friday afternoon drink : two pints for under £7, filled rolls wrapped in cling film on the bar, proper working class locals vibe very far from the North Street hipster scene a few roads away, quite a nice garden but it smelt of the curry house next door.

Landlord was smoking behind the bar which was erm a bit novel

I occasionally go there. Yeah is a bit old school, nice garden with the duckpond. The corrination curry house is decent as well. Give us a shout next time you’re over this way.

Sadly the Sam Smith pub mentioned above, King William, is really expensive now. That used to be my go to for a quiet drink on a Sunday and a read in one of the booths.

I occasionally go there. Yeah is a bit old school, nice garden with the duckpond. The corrination curry house is decent as well. Give us a shout next time you’re over this way.
I didn’t realise there were ducks!

I had a few beers later on with my mate on North Street and tbh they weren’t as nice and cost an extra £2 / pint and the seating was uncomfortable

Yeah north Street got gentrified a while ago. the Coronation on Dean Lane is pretty good still and reasonable prices. 4 other pubs have just closed down in the area. Though I wouldn't have necesarily recommended them...

Went to somewhere called the old book shop or print house or something like that. I’ve not really liked any of the other North St pubs I’ve been in (Malago and Hen & chicken)

Went to somewhere called the old book shop or print house or something like that. I’ve not really liked any of the other North St pubs I’ve been in (Malago and Hen & chicken)

Oh yeah Old bookshop. Haven’t been there for a few years. H&C is good for the comedy upstairs or jazz at the back. The bar downstairs though does my head in with the acoustics. If I’m just going for a pint I tend to go to the steam crane, near the swimming baths. If WoW were here,RIP, he would also recommend the Bristol beer factory down the other end near Ashton Gate. The other one I don’t mind but it is very old school kind of old blokes pub is the Masonic. I think I mainly like it because it has carpet in it. and a half decent jukebox.

Note to self, Must stop talking about pubs, at least on a Monday. :D

My mate is a big fan of BBF and I was a bit disappointed we didn’t go there tbh as I always drive past it on the way to his place.

I dont know South Bristol at all so these are useful recommendations :D

Further affield from temple meads or a short train ride away...

Miners Arms in Werburghs is good albeit not cheap as before if youre in that kinda area. Good pub.

I like the Queen's Head in Easton for Duvet Vous the club night but ive never been drinking in there much. Def an affordable option though and a decent garden at the back.

If you're up the Gloucester road theres loads of overpriced options nearby but I still rate the Cat and Wheel. Pool table. Locals. Proper pints. Nice little garden and cheesy karaoke sometimes too.

Star and Garter good in Montpellier too. Reggae and dub music nights and cheap food.

Last edited:

i wonder what the william gbg would have looked like, i'm certain it'd have been far better and more exhaustive in its coverage than the camra publication

I dont know South Bristol at all so these are useful recommendations :D

Further affield from temple meads or a short train ride away...

Miners Arms in Werburghs is good albeit not cheap as before if youre in that kinda area. Good pub.

I like the Queen's Head in Easton for Duvet Vous the club night but ive never been drinking in there much. Def an affordable option though and a decent garden at the back.

If you're up the Gloucester road theres loads of overpriced options nearby but I still rate the Cat and Wheel. Pool table. Locals. Proper pints. Nice little garden and cheesy karaoke sometimes too.

Star and Garter good in Montpellier too. Reggae and dub music nights and cheap food.
Cat and Wheel is rough as fuck! 😁
I went in there once with some work mates. This giant guy appeared with a tray of jager bombs for us all....I thought he knew one of my mates....they thought the same....none of us knew him.....its a meat market tbh.

Digressing a bit, but the Great Western opposite Exeter St Davids station closes this week. 30 years ago it was one of four pubs all practically next door to each other. Now there will be none. It's happening all over. Very depressing.
Bearing in mind I'm only in my mid-30s, all the pubs (bar one - The Brit, if anyone knows Weston) have either closed or been bought out and turned into flats.

Back
Top Bottom