Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boxing

49kg is 7.7 Stone. That is extremely light for an adult male. I was 9 stone for ages, I probably could've competed in the next class up.

They have some decent muscle on them though, perhaps the camera is deceptive and they're actually less than 5 feet tall.

Boxing+Olympics+Day+1+M4hhXzik8tAl.jpg

I was complaining yesterday that nobody had set up a boxing thread and now there are two!

Anyway, here's what I was saying in the other thread. Might as well do a sort of merger of the two:

Who has been watching? Who has impressed you? Has the scoring improved?

Bit of a mixed bag so far in terms of local interest. Four Brits out already along with an Irish boxer, Barnes, who was a strong medal favourite. So many British boxers going out quickly looks worse than it is - they overperformed in qualifying so many in the first place and none of those who have been eliminated, Galai, Okolie, Cordina, Fowler, were favoured to get far into the tournament.

Barnes losing is a bigger deal for Ireland

The best of the British qualifiers are, I think at opposite ends of the weight spectrum -Joe Joyce in the super heavies and the amazingly named Muhammed Ali in the flyweight division. The best of the Irish is Michael Conlan.

Okolie, who won his preliminary round fight but then was eliminated in the first round proper, looks like an interesting prospect. He only took up boxing a couple of years ago because he wanted to shift some weight and ended up in the Olympics after less than two dozen amateur bouts. Then he ends up in the ring against Erislandy Savon, the Cuban heavyweight.

Since then David Oliver Joyce got beaten by Selimov from Azerbaijan (by way of Russia).

We got a chance to see two of the most highly touted boxers in the tournament today, Argilagos in Light Fly and La Cruz in Light Heavy. Both Cubans, both won and both looked on another level entirely to their opponents. La Cruz looked absolutely amazing.

There's another boxing thread? I blame the auto suggest feature which didn't mention it. Anyway I don't know anything at all about boxing so yeah. That's the good thing about the olympics though, the weightlifting is getting a bit repetitive and the whatsits have gone on a break so you're like, I wonder what that sport is like, I bet they're doing that thing with those things and you go in and it's like this woman from Mauritius against some German pro and you're suddenly like cheering on the underdog willing them to do that thing they are doing better than the other lot so yeah it's quite entertaining.

Joe Ward, who was another strong favourite for a medal (but not gold as La Cruz is on the other side of the draw) just got beaten in absolute stinker of a fight. His opponent, Mina, has an incredibly awkward, ugly style. Somehow the referee deducted two points from Ward for little obvious reason and so he goes home despite being ahead on the cards apart from that.

It's been a bad Olympics for the Irish boxers - one medal hope popped in a drugs test the week before the games, two other medal hopes out in their first fights. At least the Brits who have gone home early were expected to do so.

Ramirez, the Cuban bantamweight put on a show early today. Donnelly, the Irish welter looked good as well a few minutes ago, but now gets the number one seed in the quarters.

Joshua Buatsi, the British Light Heavy, should be on in about fifteen minutes if anyone wants to get a look at him. Light Heavy is a very deep division here.

Wow, Buatsi looked fantastic. Nearly decapitated the number three seed. I think he's the only boxer in any weight division to stop both of his opponents.

The guy Buatsi is to fight in the quarter finals looked very limited in his second round match afterwards. It should just be a question of what colour medal for the British kid.

Pat McCormack, Britain's representative in the light welterweight division made it to the next round. As did Loreno Sotomayor, the nephew of the greatest ever highjumper who, bizarrely, competes for Azerbaijan rather than Cuba.

Josh Kelly, the British welterweight, got a boxing lesson from Yeleussinov of Kazakhstan. There's no shame in that though as Yeleussinov is arguably the favourite for gold.

Argilagos has only himself to blame. Too arrogant, expected to just beat everyone on talent and flashiness.

Hernandez, the American kid who got the other Bronze will have turned pro before his plane lands back home.

Lopez the Cuban middleweight looked extremely impressive.

I don't know much about boxing but I was totally sure Nistor the Romanian was winning that fight against the Jordanian, but he lost? I kinda wanted the Jordanian guy to win but it was pretty clear he wasn't!

Conlan, the last Irish male boxer still in the running, won easily.

In the light heavies, Buatsi fights for a guaranteed medal tonight. The gold medal favourite La Cruz won a few minutes ago. His Brazilian opponent at least tried an unusual tactic - fighters usually try to get up close and rough up La Cruz, but Borges committed completely to counterpunching and absolutely refused to throw anything until La Cruz had first.

And Buatsi's opponent takes a standing eight count in the first round. Buatsi going out there like he wants to keep his run of knockouts going.

Buatsi isn't the best fighter in the tournament pound for pound. He may not even be the best boxer in his division (it's the best one). But anyone clearly better than him is a career amateur/Olympic fighter or has a style that probably won't be as effective in the pros. Buatsi is arguably the best professional prospect in the competition. The promoters will be beating down his door.

It's one of the things I love about the Olympic boxing. There are always young fighters I've never really had a chance to look at before who turn out to be much better than expected. Buatsi wasn't hyped by the British camp at all before the Olympics. Young guy, extremely tough division, not that widely known. Then he shows up and it immediately becomes apparent that he's both skilled and very heavy handed.

It goes without saying that Niyazymbetov, his semi-final opponent, is an extremely good fighter who is ranked well ahead of Buatsi, but that's what's been so impressive about his run: Pretty much everyone in the light heavyweight competition is a very good fighter who is ranked well ahead of him.

Back
Top Bottom