Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boundary review 2021-2023

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
The 2023 Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies is set to start this Spring in time for the next general election, which should be in 2024. (Note that the government has tabled the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (Repeal) Bill which would undo the Coalition's Fixed-Term parliament system and re-introduce the status quo ante of the Prime Minister calling an election at a time of their choosing.)

Unlike plans created by the Coalition, which would have reduced the size of the House of Commons to 600 from 650, this year's review will work on a statutory number of 650 constituencies, all of which (with a handful of exceptions) have to be within 5% either side of an electoral quota of 73,393.

The decision to stick with 650 - not one seat more, not one seat less - nonetheless suggests significant changes across the UK. In Wales, there will be 32 seats, down from 40. This is likely to hit the seats of the South Wales valleys.

By contrast, South East England is likely to have 6 extra seats created, from 83 to 89.

There is, inevitably, a Wikipedia article to guide through the numbers and processes.

Re-districting, as it's known in the US, is broadly partisan. The reality is not as bad in the UK, not least because the process in Britain is far less emotionally charged and far more "dry" than the American equivalent. I've been to the public meetings each Boundary Commission has to host during the review process and broadly speaking the people involved are political wonks, non-league football volunteers with a taste for clipboards, neighbourhood watch addicts, and other local worthies. There are moments of necessary and required passion and attention during these sorts of processes, and sometimes the "dryness" can be used as a mask to hide significant changes behind the scenes, as it were. I am told from a source on a politics forum that members of the English Boundary Commission don't really like the job and aren't as involved as amateur psephologists are.

If you want to try your hand at being a Boundary Commission, the Plan Builder website is programmed to do their job - Plan Builder 2020

I've contributed to both the aborted boundary proposals which happened under the Coalition, and the two previous, and hope that I can contribute and comment to all 4 Commissions and this thread/forum.

(I've not been logged into this Forum since December 2019 so thought I'd swing by with something characteristically administrative and niche :) )

Goodbye, Bristol West, hello Bristol Central.

Welcome also to Bristol North East, which includes loads of areas that aren't in Bristol.

I see Labour voting Exeter has had one of its poorest areas excised and handed to Tory voting Exmouth :hmm:

I don’t know the local demographics well or even what constituency I am in currently but it seems daft that my new constituency is Central Devon when I live by the Splatford Split and am 10 minutes drive from the middle of Exeter. I guess they need to draw the lines somewhere though.

Mrs Frank's mum will be horrified to learn that she's been lumped in with West Hampstead, which everyone knows is not proper Hamstead.

Sir Keir Starmer
Current constituency: Holborn and St Pancras
Provisional recommendation: Majority to form new Kentish Town and Bloomsbury. Minority moved to Camden Town and St John's Wood

Boris Johnson
Current constituency: Uxbridge and South Ruislip
Provisional recommendation: Majority to form expanded seat of the same name.

Jeremy Corbyn
Current constituency: Islington North
Provisional recommendation: Almost unchanged - expanded only to take area around Dalston Junction and Dalston Kingsway stations.

Urban75
Current constituency: Brixton is currently divided between Dulwich and West Norwood, and Vauxhall
Provisional recommendation: United in the newly formed Clapham and Brixton

The new seats/boundaries will give Starmer a great opportunity to purge a few more vaguely leftist Labour MPs :(

Jeremy Corbyn
Current constituency: Islington North
Provisional recommendation: Almost unchanged - expanded only to take area around Dalston Junction and Dalston Kingsway stations.
Unless the Labour whip is restored, he cannot be the official Labour candidate. We might be looking at another Ken Livingstone situation, where is stands as (say) Independent Labour and will very likely be elected as such.

Just spotted this glitch where there's suddenly a constituency of "Nork" .

2022-11-13-16-47-37.jpg

Jeremy Hunt's seat is being split in two, he will have to choose to stand in either Godalming & Ash or Farnham & Bordon. He lives in what will be the Godalming & Ash one, but faces a very real risk of the Lib Dems do winning that one, so may prefer to go for Farnham & Bordon, which whilst goes Lib Demmy for council shit will probably go Tory for the generals...

The Boundary Commission for England has today published its Final Recommendations for constituencies to be fought at the next election. These are final and cannot be amended further

The other three Commissions are to report today too, I believe.

Been some name changes in South London at least, although boundaries look the same at a quick glance.

Back
Top Bottom