Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boots for everyday, but also with industrial protection

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
So I've been after some boots for a while, something I can wear day to day for simply walking in, but also protective of uppers and soles for when I've got the rig setup and there's nails and stuff around too.

I'm looking for something light and flexible, I've got military boots but they're knackered and don't offer the protection I need, and I've got a pair of rigger boots but they're heavy and the inflexibility of the sole makes a whole day on them quite uncomfortable.

I've had tree surgeon freinds sing the praises of chainsaw boots and I've been eyeing up the stein Krueger d30 boots but they ain't half expensive (£140) but I'm wondering how much it really is worth splashing out. The most I've ever paid was for my military boots and they've lasted a while, but still only £70.

I've also never worn chainsaw boots so really don't know how tiring they are to wear. Say I'm on my feet all day or going for a long walk, will they fatigue me?

I've got Englebert Strauss Hadar workboots and they are really comfortable - I walk quite a bit at work (and there and back) and they are the first workboots that I haven't been absolutely desperate to get off my feet at the end of the day. They do a few colourful boots too. You can get DM safety boots (i think only black though) but the pair I had were really uncomfortable. Lots of people on a landscaping forum I sometime go on like Buckler workboots and reckon they are really comfy and good for walking in, but the footbed is too wide for me, and they're probably not your style (mostly brown).

In terms of chainsaw boots, they come in 3 classes and are designed for either groundwork or climbing - they should all be steel-toecapped and have cut protection (with class 1 protection least and class 3 protection most), climbing boots should be lighter than groundwork boots, but I think they don't always have a steel midsole to protect from punctures (which i would think you'd need if you're using nails). Some of my arboriculturist friends like Miendl boots especially Airstreams for climbing and all day wear (they are red and black). Haix is the other make that gets talked about a lot.

Rigger boots are the most uncomfortable workboots ever for anything - i reckon you'd be better off with any other style of boot!

It might be a good ideas to work out what protection you need and what standard safety classification that corresponds to and then look for boots within that classification that are light/comfy/designed for walking in/nice looking.

Having looked around for the level of protection I've been after I'm looking at about £130 anyway, so those ones I have been originally looking at seem good, the problem is I can't find anywhere local to try them on.

I don't know whether its worth just ordering them and hoping or not :/

I am also wondering whether chainsaw boots are going to be a bit overkill..... I only really need the protection 2 times a month, the rest of the time its going to be normal stuff, like walking/driving to work etc.

Back
Top Bottom