Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

booking train tickets Malaga to Seville

Motown_ben

Morning all,

just wondering if anyone can advise on the best way to book train tickets for a holiday ive got coming up in June. I fly into Malaga but need to then get a train to Seville & back over a long weekend.

I see thetrainline.com sell tickets but didn't know if there was a better / cheaper option?

cheers

Renfe is easy enough to use. For the cheapest option, if there are are options, choose 'turista'. 'Avant' trains will be faster than 'Media distancia' and more expensive, again if the option exists. Occasionally you see 'Promo' which is a special price.

For example I just saw that a return from Malaga to Sevilla, over the May bank holiday, is 37.35 euros return. That was 'turista' on an 'Avant' train.

The prices for 'media distancia' are not available but the journey is 3 hours instead of 1 and a half.

Renfe - Inicio

Personally I love a bus in southern Spain. Buses are cheap, plentiful and you just have to show up at the bus station - your bags can go in the boot. If all else fails (it won't) there's always a bus.

Renfe is easy enough to use. For the cheapest option, if there are are options, choose 'turista'. 'Avant' trains will be faster than 'Media distancia' and more expensive, again if the option exists. Occasionally you see 'Promo' which is a special price.

For example I just saw that a return from Malaga to Sevilla, over the May bank holiday, is 37.35 euros return. That was 'turista' on an 'Avant' train.

The prices for 'media distancia' are not available but the journey is 3 hours instead of 1 and a half.

Renfe - Inicio

Thanks for that

Just had a look on renfe.com. I have mostly taken the 3 hour media distancia, which is a nice train. Although yeah the AVANT service is 1h55 so might be worth paying double for if you're in a proper hurry. If you're not, I'd just get the normal slower train, which works out as 39.90€ (tarifa ida y vuelta - return).

There are two stations in Seville. People mainly get off at the main one, Santa Justa. But San Bernardo could be better if you are staying in the East/Nervión area as it's nearby. If you are staying bang in the centre, it could also be useful as you can get the tram directly from San Bernado to Plaza Nueva. Or just walk from either station. From Malaga Airport get red Cercanias local train to María Zambrano, the train station, that's the fastest and cheapest way into town.

As Poot says, don't rule out the bus. Lots of ALSA regular buses from Málaga (and 2 direct daily Malaga Airport to Seville), which can at times be more convenient. Although the train journey is more attractive. The bus would probably be like 20-30 euros return, though and there are more departures, a bus every few hours usually, I think. They do sell out during holidays though, so can be best to book a few hours before or even a day before. I once bought the last seat on a bus out of Seville during semana santa, with all the trains booked up... and if i'd have missed the bus i'd have missed the flight in Málaga ;)

Last edited:
Morning all,

just wondering if anyone can advise on the best way to book train tickets for a holiday ive got coming up in June. I fly into Malaga but need to then get a train to Seville & back over a long weekend.

I see thetrainline.com sell tickets but didn't know if there was a better / cheaper option?

cheers
Out of curiosity why are you flying in to Málaga and not into Seville? Wouldn't that be easier?

Back
Top Bottom