Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bobby Charlton RIP

:(

My favourite footballer when I was a kid. Saw him a couple of times he'd get the ball inside his own half and there'd be shouts of 'shoot'. That was with proper case balls, too, which weighed a ton as soon as they got a bit wet :eek:.

Proper gent - only booked once in his career, for asking the ref to get the wall back to 10 yards as the rules required when taking a free kick.

Before my time, but I remember older fans going on and on about him as a kid. It was only when I was older myself and saw footage of him in his prime that I got it. Light years ahead of everyone on the pitch in terms of fitness and skill. It was like he'd beamed in from a football future or something.

To be honest I thought he'd already died, but it's still sad to have it confirmed he's now gone. RIP Bobby

I worked at Mullard in oo 77 or so and someone there proper left wing used to go spend his holidays on the Black Sea and said that when the Russians found out he was English would come over to him and shake his hand and say "Bobbieeee Charrlton" and he'd say "Lev Yashhin" back to them and they'd be on their way

Last edited:
How long his England goalscoring record stood was incredible, for a midfielder. The next highest scoring midfield is Lampard, also on 106 appearances, but with 20 fewer goals. He had a better goals-per-game record than Owen or Rooney, albeit with the caveat of fewer substitute games.

The man scored some of the best goals. Is it me but he was fucking fast . Even by today's standard?

Proper gent - only booked once in his career, for asking the ref to get the wall back to 10 yards as the rules required when taking a free kick.
It did help that yellow cards were only introduced in England when he was 39 :p

Not that much of a help since players were booked going back to the 1800s. I know he was getting on a bit but ...

:p

Back
Top Bottom