Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Marley.

Recently been increasing my Bob collection, am now up to 9 albums, with the purchase of Survival the other day.

Exodus is still the favourite, maybe because we played it so much back in the day... or that it's such a strong release.

I've been listening to a lot of Peter Tosh lately. I much prefer his music to Marley's stuff.

I like those earlier Wailers albums, with Soul Rebels being my favourite. When it goes all rock later I feel a bit cold towards the songs. I was sick of hearing Marley after legend came out. Seemed like every house in England was playing the same songs on repeat and so that's the legacy now. So many good songs never get aired on radio, and Reggae DJs don't really play Marley.

They never did a better tune than Simmer Down.

I've been listening to a lot of Peter Tosh lately. I much prefer his music to Marley's stuff.

I like those earlier Wailers albums, with Soul Rebels being my favourite. When it goes all rock later I feel a bit cold towards the songs. I was sick of hearing Marley after legend came out. Seemed like every house in England was playing the same songs on repeat and so that's the legacy now. So many good songs never get aired on radio, and Reggae DJs don't really play Marley.

They never did a better tune than Simmer Down.

Legend was pushed so much, my late uncle wasn't having it, so far as to be convinced a lot of the songs weren't even Marley... whatever that meant!

I listened to so much Marley and Tosh growing up, loved them both although remember more Marley songs cause you know, wherever you went.

Most of Marley's albums have some stand out tunes or tracks that meant a lot to me at the time because of their message like War and Zimbabwe. My mum owned Confrontation, my best friend and I used to rinse Catch a Fire and the memories go on.
Exodus and Legend are probably my least favourite and when I went to see Ziggy in Brixton, he basically played Legend. Was still spine tingly at times.

This is making me want to seek out my old Peter Tosh playlists.

I love Tosh but after legalise it and equal rights he's often let down by the production....there's a lot of ja music of the same period with great production value.....i guess i prefer a more radical approach from that eram something that pushes boundaries a bit more. Later PT sounds a bit dated to me, and not in a good way. I still hear fantastic songwriting and great performances thiugh.

As to bob marley, i agree with nagapie. There are gems to he found throughout his career. From simmer down via catch a fire through to confrontation - it's been with me for most of my life and it still moves me.
Babylon by bus shows us that he and they were one of the greatest luve acts ever.

Legend is a collection of their dullest output.

(deep) South Londoner here; be gentle...

....OK, so after living in London for 44 years, yesterday, I visited Dalston for the first time. Enjoyed my visit, but made all the more memorable/pleasant for finding this CD for 99p in the very nice Oxfam. If a fellow Urb donated it; thanks. :)

Been playing it on repeat since yesterday evening; forgotten how good it was.

1724530998606.png

Numbers Catch a fire = hoping you are well awares of the self-produced Jahmaica effort before it caught a lot of cod when it arrived in Island, London.

better in every way.

but I get it; one of LP design reggage with a bit of boogie woogie ontop.........er,

Back
Top Bottom