Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Dylan at 80 - favourite song?

Had a complete wash out at work today with IT failures, but I've listen to six Bob Dylan albums (I've revisted Highway 61 Revisted as well and it's better than remember it - at least the band smash it on this one). I think I have a better handle on him and some of the different periods of his career. I've surprised myself how much I like the first four albums and Blood on the Tracks. Apart from the song writing/lyric writing, I now really rate him as a singer and guitar player (acoustic guitar that is, the techniques he uses don't translate well to the electric guitar).

Positively 4th Street
I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is to see you

Ouch!

I haven’t heard that one. And I thought Idiot Wind was vitriolic.
Have you not heard the legendary 'Fargo Cafe' session from '59? It's his version of Man of Constant Sorrow dedicated to two customers who'd been a pain in the arse to him.

You pair of snidey wankers,
Gimme trouble, all my days.
Fuck off, to South Dakota,
'Pon where, I will never gaze

Just went and listened to Street-Legal for the first time in years. With its irritating hyphen n all.

Often seen as the last one worth buying, it’s got some solid stuff on there, reasonably arranged. What’s best about it though is the liveness of it. Mostly recorded in a few days (and occasional giddy night) it’s got quite a few ‘mistakes’ in it. The three female backing singers (a first for Dylan) were having to follow the band making bits up as they went along. Dylan asked them to sing stuff that was beyond them (and would have been for the vast majority of singers) but they went along with him cos he was Bob Dylan. Which worked perfectly. Probably not as smooth as Bob would have liked, but much better in reality. Who wants smooth Dylan?

I followed this up with what, I think, was the only one of Dylan’s 39 studio albums and 12 live ones that I’d never heard before - Dylan & The Dead. It has a terrible reputation and just seemed a bit pointless so I never bothered. But it cost nowt to listen, so away I went.

Slow Train wasn’t too bad. Not an absolute classic song, but it sounded okay, Bob actually sung. And then came one of his finest songs, I Want You. And never have I heard such a vile bastardisation of any song ever. Give me a drunken one armed busker singing it at 1am over this monstrosity. While the rest of the album never got worse than that, one half interesting guitar solo in All Along the Watchtower did not make up for it.

Evil, the worst thing Dylan has ever done. Including that bra advert.

Love hate relationship with him over the decades, his music, though am good with. John Wesley Harding is a particular fave currently

For a long time it's been Black Diamond Bay but I am currently loving Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.

How is it possible not to love a song with the line "Then everyone commenced to do what they were doin' before he turned their heads"?

Fabulous!!! :cool:

For a long time it's been Black Diamond Bay but I am currently loving Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.

How is it possible not to love a song with the line "Then everyone commenced to do what they were doin' before he turned their heads"?

Fabulous!!! :cool:
it's fucking marvelous. it has his trick of containing so many emotions. his scope can be so vast in his masterpieces and that is one of them.

"the drilling in the wall kept up but no one seemed to mind".

this stopped me in my tracks the other day, had to sit down and was just grabbed by it. starts at 8.00. fair and tender ladies. that fucking vocal. he embodies characters that are never his own.

Back
Top Bottom