Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Dylan at 80 - favourite song?

Is there any song where he is actually himself? It's all interpretation, like he's a an actor. But it's so consistent that it's authentic. There's always a slight step away from himself if that makes sense.
Good question. Not that you can ever be sure, of course, but I think New Morning has a few where it sounds like you're hearing his own voice directly, including the title track and the one that opens The Big Lebowski, 'The Man in Me'. Which is interesting, because it's not one of his more widely loved albums and those songs are also quite uncharacteristically upbeat.

I saw Bob Dylan live in 1993 and he was so shit me and my mate couldn't stop laughing. But I have always loved Nina Simone's version of I Shall Be Released so I would vote for that.
I saw him in London in 1989, he was into the second verse of 'Watching the river flow' before I recognised what the song was.

Saw him again in Glasgow in 1992, not much better.

I saw him in London in 1989, he was into the second verse of 'Watching the river flow' before I recognised what the song was.

Saw him again in Glasgow in 1992, not much better.
Yeah, I saw him at St James Park, Newcastle, in 1984. He was terrible. And clearly couldn’t be arsed.

The period I like him from is his first album through to Street Legal (and maybe Budokan), plus Make You Feel My Love.

I’d love to have seen him on his Rolling Thunder Review.

The fact that you can’t always recognise his songs when he starts playing them is a good thing. Who wants to hear a replica of what you have at home? His constant reinvention of them allows for new ways of seeing and thinking about them. Some are a bit shit, but some are bloody great.

I've been an aficionado of the man since I first heard him in 1963 (where did the time go?), and it is virtually impossible for me to select a single song. Ten would be difficult. :)

This I like.

And the subject of the song.

This was ripped from a 78.

i like this as well. the lyrics are stupid and theres laughter at the beginning, hich soon gets annoying but sets it up nicely for when they do start and that second guitar pops up and it just rolls nicely on.

His best verse is:

God said to Abraham “kill me a son”,
Abe said “hey, man, you must be putting me on”,
God said “No”, Abe said “what?”
God said “you can do what you want, Abe, but
The next time you see me coming, you’d better run”,
Abe said “anyway, where do you want this killing done?”
God said “do it out on Highway 61”.

But my favourite song is probably Idiot Wind.
its good, but its the whistle at the beginning that makes this song for me.

Back
Top Bottom