Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Dylan at 80 - favourite song?

Never understood or particularly liked his music or appeal, why does he sing in that ridiculous voice?

I don't have a problem with anyone else enjoying his schtick, but with all this hoo-ha about him having a birthday I thought I'd ask, he sounds like someone hoovering a carpet two room away.

ETA: I don't read pop periodicals but a bit of googling turned up this which sums up my feelings about the grumbly old warbler

Never understood or particularly liked his music or appeal, why does he sing in that ridiculous voice?

I don't have a problem with anyone else enjoying his schtick, but with all this hoo-ha about him having a birthday I thought I'd ask, he sounds like someone hoovering a carpet two room away.

ETA: I don't read pop periodicals but a bit of googling turned up this which sums up my feelings about the grumbly old warbler

Start at the beginning. From album to album. He is probably 60% hit rate.

He’s only worth the bother if you can process his lyrics but his voice bypasses any efforts to do so

Perhaps it’s the color of the sun cut flat
An’ cov’rin’ the crossroads I’m standing at
Or maybe it’s the weather or something like that
But mama, you been on my mind
Down the streets the dogs are barking
And the day is getting dark.
When the night comes in falling
The dogs will loose their bark.

And the silent night will shatter
From the sounds inside my mind
I'm just one too many mornings
Amd a thousand miles behind.

Is there any song where he is actually himself? It's all interpretation, like he's a an actor. But it's so consistent that it's authentic. There's always a slight step away from himself if that makes sense.

Based on this excellent Guardian piece..

What's your fav? I confess I've always preferred him as a poet rather than a singer, although well. He's incomparable at both really.. This is mine.

Ballad of a Thin Man always makes me laugh. It's a great song though.

I bought a cassette of Highway 61 Revisited when I was around 18 and I dutifully listened to it quite a lot. I'm pretty familiar with it. There's definitely some arresting lines on it, and I like his voice/delivery. But I just got bored with it. Especially bloody Desolation Row. I find it colourless and hard to relate to and I soon became much more interested in Leonard Cohen whose pseudo profondities resonated with me. There aren't any songs off that album I really like, but I do like It's All Over Now Baby Blue and Subterranean Homesick Blues. But I guess those are the two obvious Dylan songs. Also only really like the former because I hear the 13th Floor Elevators cover in my head whenever I hear it. So by elimination my favourite Dylan song is Subterranean Homesick Blues and to be fair he really kills it on that one.

Back
Top Bottom